Pool Cleaning Must Haves

Jun 13, 2015
Clinton, Utah
What should we have on hand to clean our pool with? We have an above ground 16x48 pool. The vacuum brush thing it came with hardly has any bristles on it, and I feel like I am going to rip the vinyl when I use it! I just ordered a skimmer basket to help with bugs/leaves, but do we need anything else aside from a good brush to clean the pool with?

There are a wide variety of vacuums available for AG vinyl pools. Some use the simple manual vacuum head (on wheels) that connects to a long pole, others actually invest in an automated robotic-type cleaner. The vacuum head on wheels should not damage the liner. Brushes on the other hand also come in a wide variety of choices, and the bristles can be across the scale from soft nylon to steel. Yikes! A lot depends on how much you want to spend.

So typically you have the skimmer that picks-up your surface debris, and manual vacuum where the hose connects to your skimmer/suction intake, and a good nylon brush to sweep the sides and bottom of your pool. Hope that gives you the info you needed to get started.

What should we have on hand to clean our pool with? We have an above ground 16x48 pool. The vacuum brush thing it came with hardly has any bristles on it, and I feel like I am going to rip the vinyl when I use it! I just ordered a skimmer basket to help with bugs/leaves, but do we need anything else aside from a good brush to clean the pool with?

The vacuum brush thing - your manual vacuum head should have brushes on it, for vinyl pools. It looks like this

Ocean Blue Triangular Vacuum Head - 130030B - INYOPools.com

That is not a brush, it is a vacuum head. It does not have long bristles on it. The ones with wheels are meant for plaster pools.

This is a pool brush.

Ocean Blue 10In Straight Wall Brush - OBW110020 - INYOPools.com

Brush the sides and bottom of the pool a couple of times a week. Vacuum the bottom once a week. That is a good starting point. Depending on how dirty your pool gets, you may have to do more, or can get along with less.

Same goes for your skimmer, Empty it every day - that should only take 20 seconds anyway.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.