Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Cleaning Must Haves

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Cleaning Must Haves

What should we have on hand to clean our pool with? We have an above ground 16x48 pool. The vacuum brush thing it came with hardly has any bristles on it, and I feel like I am going to rip the vinyl when I use it! I just ordered a skimmer basket to help with bugs/leaves, but do we need anything else aside from a good brush to clean the pool with?
    Coleman 16'x48" AGP, Pump is what came with the pool 1,000 gallon pump I believe with Cartridge, SWG Intex brand Krystal Clear
    First Year Pool Owners

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Cleaning Must Haves

for above ground pool, you need a vacuum hose/head with pole. plus a skimmer and a brush to wipe down the sides and bottom.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

3. Back To Top    #3

There are a wide variety of vacuums available for AG vinyl pools. Some use the simple manual vacuum head (on wheels) that connects to a long pole, others actually invest in an automated robotic-type cleaner. The vacuum head on wheels should not damage the liner. Brushes on the other hand also come in a wide variety of choices, and the bristles can be across the scale from soft nylon to steel. Yikes! A lot depends on how much you want to spend.

So typically you have the skimmer that picks-up your surface debris, and manual vacuum where the hose connects to your skimmer/suction intake, and a good nylon brush to sweep the sides and bottom of your pool. Hope that gives you the info you needed to get started.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Liviesmommy View Post
    What should we have on hand to clean our pool with? We have an above ground 16x48 pool. The vacuum brush thing it came with hardly has any bristles on it, and I feel like I am going to rip the vinyl when I use it! I just ordered a skimmer basket to help with bugs/leaves, but do we need anything else aside from a good brush to clean the pool with?

The vacuum brush thing - your manual vacuum head should have brushes on it, for vinyl pools. It looks like this

Ocean Blue Triangular Vacuum Head - 130030B - INYOPools.com

That is not a brush, it is a vacuum head. It does not have long bristles on it. The ones with wheels are meant for plaster pools.

This is a pool brush.

Ocean Blue 10In Straight Wall Brush - OBW110020 - INYOPools.com

Brush the sides and bottom of the pool a couple of times a week. Vacuum the bottom once a week. That is a good starting point. Depending on how dirty your pool gets, you may have to do more, or can get along with less.

Same goes for your skimmer, Empty it every day - that should only take 20 seconds anyway.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank You Dave! I will get the vacuum ordered!

Coleman 16'x48" AGP, Pump is what came with the pool 1,000 gallon pump I believe with Cartridge, SWG Intex brand Krystal Clear
    First Year Pool Owners

6. Back To Top    #6

great and tnank you for this information.