help! pool ready for pebble and we realized it's too deep!

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
freaking out. we asked for a 3' 1/2", 5', 4' pool. hubbie is 5-8", I"m 5-6" and our kids are on the lower end of the spectrum, so our 8 yr old is shorter than most kindergartners. with a 40 foot long pool i'm surpised looking at how most of it is closer to 4 1/2. i was assuming that most of it was going to be 3 1/2 and 4'. actually there are probably only a few inches on each side that are that height. my husband is also upset that we didn't get a bench or stairs on one end for if the kids tire. he's worried about safety. we also have in-floor all laid out and cut, most of them in already. what is standard for a drop in a 3 1/2 pool. how much of it should've been 3 1/2" before it dropped for a sports pool? 4' for basketball will be impossible for our kids for years and most of it's really getting closer to 5', especially where they'll shoot hoops from. the pool goes up to 5' 3" inches or so, it was dug too deep then seemed to go 6" too deep in most places. we're disappointed. any ideas for a baja or way out/way for kids to rest on the one end and thoughts with raising the depth? sighhhhhhhhh. thanku!!!

Ahh, bummer! I was a little bummed ours wasn't deeper - same setup as yours - but when I get in it - and see where the water will come to the middle of the tile - I was thinking it would be a little deeper. Mine as well has very little of 3'6" - but we were wanting that.

I THINK I remember my PB saying they have to put a way out of the pool on the other end. We have a bench with a step out - but maybe that is just his rule - and not a general rule. I would call your PB - maybe they can work with you and add some gunite to build it up?

I understand wanting to be able to use it right away and your kids being able to touch now and I HOPE they can do that for you - but if it doesn't work out - just think "now" is such a short amount of time - and they will grow bigger and have much longer time to enjoy it later.

Sorry you are dealing with this!

Oh no, that is the worst. I would certainly call and see what the PB asys but Wendy makes a good point, they do grow fast, and my low end is 3 1/2 and i'm constantly kneeling so i'm at my daughters height. She is 4 years old and already can stand there fine, so I may kind of wish I went with 4' in the low end very soon! Just trying to look at the bright side, but I'm sure pool companies have dealt with this before and most likely they can solve the problem - good luck :)

I'm sorry, but it's really late in the game for this now. Any cement added now will create a cold joint and I would not want that risk. Even to add a shelf or steps will come at a good deal of cost done properly.

I don't think there is a standard. Perhaps in a fiberglass pool, but with gunite it is 100% custom. I agree with Patrick. In order for them to add to the floor or add a bench, they would introduce a structural risk and they may not want to do that. That said, I guarantee this is not the first time they've addressed this. Ask them, noting the concerns, and see what they say. They might be able to drill a bunch of holes and anchor the new floor/benches to existing structure, or they may jack-hammer some out to give the new concrete something to cling to. Either way I am sure there will be quite an expense. Just ask, and don't assume any more :)

btw; I made my pb send an images of the depth chart they had drawn up, and then I adjusted it (we have older kids; 11, 13, 15, but still start at 3.5, ant then over 15' it gradually drops to 5.5, then a steeper slope to 8'. I'm sure I was a pain for my designer dude, but I tried to assume nothing, and even when I made an assumption, I'd say "so I assume x" and let him confirm or correct. I learned that I was wrong just as often as I was right. Scary.

Good luck!

i think we overly freaked out due to our daughter's accident in the backyard a few day ago tripping into the pool trenches into a mirror and was serious, had to have surgery. it got my husband to thinking about safety and i think because he's not a strong swimmer he's thinking they'll tire out like he does. my kids have had 4 years of swimming lessons and i think they'll grab the side if they're tired or swim back. that's what they teach floating or skimming water for. yes, floaties. a quick freak-out but yes, i think i'll just have them continue as is. bench is also another hazard to jump onto and deeper water is better for jumping into the water, so i'll just believe we're on the right track, like i have been with my original ideas most times. thx so much for your responses. it's helpful!

Yes, I can see why you'd be a bit on edge about it. I'm a trauma nurse. I have seen too much. IMO, deeper pools are safer.

We're always hanging out in the deep end sitting on noodles or tubes. The grandson is learning to swim and jump off in to the deep end. Its important that our kids develop confidence and physical skills so wrapping them up in bubble wrap to avoid all risks and make them in to ninnies is counter productive. So we minimize the risks and hope/pray for the best.

We'd love to see pics of the pool as its coming along :)

Your kids will grow up, and they will grow in stature and confidence. They will also want to bring their friends over - if the pool isn't deep enough, they will go to someone else's house... You will be very happy you have this pool, and they will be as well - esp in a couple of years.

The young kids who come to our house spend no time in the 3-1/2' section of our pool standing up. If I build a pool again it will be 4x5x4. They swim continuously, climb out jump in, hang off the side, whatever. I like to stand neck deep with a beverage or sit on a bench with a beverage. Wife likes the floatie. Yeah, with a beverage. :)

Ya'll will love your pool, everyone will find their favorite spot and life will be good!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.