Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New 16' x 48" Coleman set up/startup, want to make sure I'm doing this right

1. Back To Top    #1

New 16' x 48" Coleman set up/startup, want to make sure I'm doing this right

This is my first ever pool, so I'm a complete novice. I've done quite a bit of reading here on TFP, and although I think I have a grasp on it, I wanted to ask the experts to be sure.

After a month of digging (14" into the slope), leveling, setting up and plumbing, I finally got my AGP set up. Based on 5500 Gallons, I added 135lbs of salt and 3lbs 11oz of CYA. Using the K-2006 test kit, I got the following:

FC: 0
    pH: 7.4
    TA: 140
    CH: 140
    CYA: (just added, so didn't test)

(Side note: the Taylor Speedstir is awesome!)

The SWG instructions mention running a "Boost" cycle to get things going, but I've read that I can kick-start the process by adding chlorine. According to PoolMath, to get to the ideal FC of 5, I should add 57oz of 6.5% bleach. Is this the better way to go, or should I just "Boost" the SWG?

The TA is higher than the recommended 60-80. Should I work on getting the FC and CYA numbers where they need to be before I work on the TA?

Thanks,

Dave
    Coleman 16' x 48" AG, Sandpro 75D 3/4HP Pump/Sand filter, Intex SWG, Hayward SP1091LX Skimmer and 2 Hayward returns, hard piped, K-2006, K-1766 Test kits w/Speedstir and Samplesizer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New 16' x 48" Coleman set up/startup, want to make sure I'm doing this right

FC and CYA are most important to get in line first. Your pH looks good so no worries there. I would add the liquid chlorine/bleach myself to get the FC up immediately then work on dialing in your SWG output and run time from there to keep it in the recommended range for your CYA. See the CYA/Chlorine chart link in my signature.

The TA will come down over time as you keep the pH in the 7.2-7.8 range. No reason to actively lower it unless you're seeing fast pH rises. If you really want to address TA faster see here: Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity but that's less important than CYA, FC and pH maintenance.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: New 16' x 48" Coleman set up/startup, want to make sure I'm doing this right

I have the same size pool and with CYA at 40, I run my Intex SWG 3 hours per day. You might use that as a starting point.

You could probably boost it 24 hours/day for a couple of days and get your FC up to target, but it would be safer to start off with bleach.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the advice! Tonight the tests showed:

FC: 2
    pH: 7.6
    TA: 120
    CYA: 70
    CC: changed on 1st drop so <.2 I think.
    Salt: 3000 (I wanted to try the kit)

It seems like I'm right on track. I added the pool math recommended amount of bleach to get to an FC of 5, so I'll test again tomorrow to see how it looks. If it's good, I'll kick on the swg and start tweaking the run time to maintain it.

Thanks again!
    Coleman 16' x 48" AG, Sandpro 75D 3/4HP Pump/Sand filter, Intex SWG, Hayward SP1091LX Skimmer and 2 Hayward returns, hard piped, K-2006, K-1766 Test kits w/Speedstir and Samplesizer

5. Back To Top    #5

Tip: Use only 10 ml water and count each drop as .5 when running FC/CC test. Saves reagent and is accurate enough for our purposes. Also, Taylor tells you to add way too much powder. One spoonful is usually enough. If you have one or two undissolved crystals before you start adding drops, you have enough powder.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!