Deep cleaning sand filter - question about plumbing

Jun 7, 2015
Foley, Alabama
I have a Pentair Meteor sand filter that I suspect has never been deep cleaned. I've been through the tutorial here and the owners manual so I think I understand how to open the unit and get the process. However, I want to make sure I understand how to disconnect and reconnect the plumbing from the pool. Here is a picture:

image.jpg1_zpshak4thzg.jpg

From the looks of it the two "collars" on the white pipes just need to be unscrewed so I can remove the filter top. Is that correct? If so, when I reattach them will I need any type of thread sealant or adhesive? This is new to me and I want to make sure I have any needed materials on hand before I start. Thanks in advance for any help.

They won't unscrew. They're glued to the pipe.

If someone was thinking ahead, the installed unions in the plumbing

launboy-Union.jpg

The outer ring unscrews and the pipe comes apart. And the that whole valve gets unclamped and lifted out for access, with the pipe stubs attached.

b262ac5b-771a-4ce3-9e21-6d3f9b175b8e_zpsccd656e8.jpg

If there are no unions, looks like you get to learn PVC plumbing.

Sigh. Nope. No unions. Glad I asked before I just took a wrench to it.

Off topic rant: I just don't understand the original owners. They bought this nice Dough Boy pool, filtering system and even a stupid ozone thing but then cheaped out on the plumbing and the electrical.

So much for an easy morning project. Thanks for the reply.

Okay well that was easy. Famous last words right? I have minor experience gluing up PVC pipe so I bought two unions at the hardware store. I've cut my pipes and glued everything up.

Ive been stirring the sand while flushing with water for about an hour now. It started a milky brown color. Now the water is clear but I'm still getting lots of little leaf and bug bits in it every time I stir so I'm going to keep going a bit. Might as well since I'm still waiting on the pipes to set anyway.

Also so found some DE on clearance for 1/2 price. That seemed too good a deal to pass up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.