Does stabilizer change alkalinity as well as PH?

Strom

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2009
Greenwood, Indiana
I'm helping a friend convert to our methods so he can start enjoying his pool. Currently he has no CYA and alkalinity is 130. It is a salt pool. We need to add stabilizer. I have lowered my alkalinity using muratic acid and aeration. Using pool math, I know stabilizer affects PH...but since it is an acid does it also affect alkalinity?

Are you sure he has no stabilizer in the pool? Most SWCG systems aren't powerful enough to keep up with chlorine lost to full sun if there is no CYA in the water. Even if oversized, so a Pentair IC40 for an 18,000 gallon pool, that would be 0.4 ppm FC per hour. With no CYA in the water, about half the FC is lost per hour so they'd only be able to maintain around 1 ppm FC in the pool during peak sunlight hours. That would be OK, but they'd have to carefully time the SWCG to only operate during peak sun hours otherwise the FC would get too high at other times.

Sorry for the late reply...not getting notifications...I have to check my settings.

Chem geek, I think what saves him is that he has an automatic pool cover that is closed a good portion of the day. Since my original post, CYA is up to 50. Now he is working on getting Alkalinity down to 70. And as you mentioned about the SWCG operating time, he is slowly waiting for his chlorine level to come down...had the output at 100% and 100% time and the cover closed for a few days. They still like the feel of the salt water compared to before. He's a smart guy and will get it figured out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.