Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does stabilizer change alkalinity as well as PH?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does stabilizer change alkalinity as well as PH?

I'm helping a friend convert to our methods so he can start enjoying his pool. Currently he has no CYA and alkalinity is 130. It is a salt pool. We need to add stabilizer. I have lowered my alkalinity using muratic acid and aeration. Using pool math, I know stabilizer affects PH...but since it is an acid does it also affect alkalinity?
    Strom

16 x 32 Inground Vinyl, Infinity 2000 Automatic Cover
    Hayward S210T 2.2 sq ft Sand Filter with 1 HP Speck Badu EcoM3V Pump, Hayward H200 Heater
    Dolphin DX4 w/remote, CircuPool RJ-30 SWG, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Borates, Zeosand

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does stabilizer change alkalinity as well as PH?

Based on this previous thread: increasing Cya and effects on pH

stabilizer has very little effect on your other pool chemistry.

Hope this helps. If you still have a concern, please let us know.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you sure he has no stabilizer in the pool? Most SWCG systems aren't powerful enough to keep up with chlorine lost to full sun if there is no CYA in the water. Even if oversized, so a Pentair IC40 for an 18,000 gallon pool, that would be 0.4 ppm FC per hour. With no CYA in the water, about half the FC is lost per hour so they'd only be able to maintain around 1 ppm FC in the pool during peak sunlight hours. That would be OK, but they'd have to carefully time the SWCG to only operate during peak sun hours otherwise the FC would get too high at other times.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry for the late reply...not getting notifications...I have to check my settings.

Chem geek, I think what saves him is that he has an automatic pool cover that is closed a good portion of the day. Since my original post, CYA is up to 50. Now he is working on getting Alkalinity down to 70. And as you mentioned about the SWCG operating time, he is slowly waiting for his chlorine level to come down...had the output at 100% and 100% time and the cover closed for a few days. They still like the feel of the salt water compared to before. He's a smart guy and will get it figured out.
    Strom

16 x 32 Inground Vinyl, Infinity 2000 Automatic Cover
    Hayward S210T 2.2 sq ft Sand Filter with 1 HP Speck Badu EcoM3V Pump, Hayward H200 Heater
    Dolphin DX4 w/remote, CircuPool RJ-30 SWG, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Borates, Zeosand