Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problem Found and Ideas needed

1. Back To Top    #1

Problem Found and Ideas needed

I began SLAMing my pool 4 days ago (84 hours). My CYA is somewhere between 25-40 so I used the SLAM values for Mustard at 30-40 CYA, which is about FC 22 or mustard and 14 for a normal SLAM.

I checked the FC every 3-4 hours and after the first couple of checks where the FC drop was 5-8 the drop settled to 4-6 (even over night). I never let it drop below the 40 CYA normal shock value of 16 FC..trying to hedge my bet on CYA level.

I scrubbed everything, even the inside of my filter housing, and it the nooks and crannies of my ladder. Yesterday I kicked the FC up to the 40 CYA mustard level of 24, still dropped to the 16-18 FC after 3-4 hours, seemed that the 16-18 FC was where the pool wanted to settle, even during the 10 hour overnight period.

After 8 gals of 8.25%, and plateauing FC at 16-18, I decided this morning to remove the ladder to do a better scrub and WOW i found a panel on the bottom rung that is used to add ballast to allow the ladder to sink. When I removed the cover I found pieces of concrete chunks a little larger than golf balls. They were slimy green and began to "bubble" when I put them in a plastic bucket with a 50-50 bleach and water mix.
    IMG_0493.jpg

About 10 minutes after this photo, the water had turned totally green and you could not see the chunks or bottom of the bucket.

Not only were they harboring my alege, I think they were giving me my radical and unpredicted pH swings...

Any suggestions on a good ballasting material that will fit into 4 cavities-- roughly 3x4 in??
    Mobile, AL--5K gal, 15 ft diameter, 177 sq ft surface, Vinyl AG, 2 spd 2 hp Hi-Flo motor w/ Clear Water II 200 sq ft Cartridge Filter; Laars Lite II 400k btu heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Problem Found and Ideas needed

Wow! Not sure what to use as a ballast, but I commend you for finding that nasty mess hidden in the ladder. What a lesson for others to learn from. Outstanding!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry, no I don't. But I am going to link this thread and picture in my inspirational links thread, to convince people to clean the ladder during a SLAM.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm aware of a product called "Ballast Bag" for pool ladders. It looks like a thick Zip-Lock type bag that you fill with sand. A Google search should turn up plenty of examples.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

We use PVC pipe filled with sand and then permanently sealed. They work great.
    You could measure the size you would need to fit in each pocket of the ladder rung. Although they could still get algae but the pipes would be much easier to clean. Our pipes are open to the water flow under the stairs, so we do not get algae there. Since your ballast was in an area that does not get circulation, you will probably have to open up that compartment and clean it every year at startup and maybe even during the season.
    When we tried heavy duty Zip lock bags they eventually got water in them and the algae accumulated in the bags.
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks mariane and BoDarville for the suggestions. The PVC pipe I think is the answer....possibly with some material more dense than sand, maybe lead pellets as the pipe will be capped and glued?
    Mobile, AL--5K gal, 15 ft diameter, 177 sq ft surface, Vinyl AG, 2 spd 2 hp Hi-Flo motor w/ Clear Water II 200 sq ft Cartridge Filter; Laars Lite II 400k btu heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, capped and glued. And you don't need to buy the screw on cap for the pipe. The glue-on end caps work great.
    We went with sand since it would totally fill the pipe without air pockets that might occur using lead pellets. We also had the sand from previous years using the play sand bags in the ziplock bags and then putting them in the water.
    Maybe use sand to fill in the remaining air pockets from the pellets. Or maybe it would be so heavy, lifting them could be an issue.
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

8. Back To Top    #8

I used medium size river rock gravel for my drop in steps, after soaking it in bucket with strong bleach water for a day.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~