Greetings from a pool Newbie

Owlman

Jun 13, 2015
Greenfield ma
Just bought a house with in IG vinyl pool (stats below). Previous owner did not take care of it as well as should have. I already drained 30% of the water to get the CYA from 104 to 73. I took apart and cleaned out the entire filter and vaccumed all the green algae off the wall. Am going a bit crazy getting mixed messages from the pool guy who I hired just to show me how to work the equipment and the pool store who wanted to sell me a bunch of stuff. I ordered a Taylor TK 2006 test kit and am trying to get the water balanced but having trouble. Its been a tough start to home and pool ownership but I think I'm getting there, hopefully one of these days this summer i'll get to use the pool.

Tom

Welcome Tom! Well, your gut is telling you correctly, and ordering the K2006 is a great start. Why? Because we've all learned (from personal experience) you cannot reply on pool store tests, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They don't read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need.

Golden rule - Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. Do not add anything to your pool other than what is advocated by the TFP site or its experts. You’ll have a happier pool, spend less time maintaining your pool, and probably save some $$ in the process. The following are short articles from this site that you will see linked in my signature below: Pool School, Recommended Levels (for YOUR pool), PoolMath Calculator, SLAM, and the Chlorine/CYA Chart.

Once you receive your kit, post some numbers for us. :)

Welcome to TFP!