Fiberglass Pool Install... what to do about coping?

dantan

Jun 15, 2015
Mico, TX
Ok, I'm new to the forum and pools in general. I just found the site this evening and am already loving it.

I got a really good deal on a fiberglass pool because someone previously purchased it from the factory and then backed out of the install. So, I was able to negotiate a good deal on the shell, pool equipment (pump, filter, lights, controller, etc.) and install (delivery, base install and leveling, and pool drop in and leveling with back fill around sides to stabilization). I am responsible for excavation (done, see pics), ordering of the back fill material (#5 gravel), electrical, crane/excavator to set pool, bobcat to move back fill material, and the concrete pool deck. And, this is where my problem/questions come in.

The pool will be delivered with a flexible concrete cantilever coping form, but I don't like the look of poured concrete as the coping (looks dated). I'd love to have flagstone coping all the way around the edge of the pool like I've seen several on here. To me, the finished pool looks more like a gunite pool (a lot nicer).

My questions are:
1) do I need to pour the coping concrete base first (before the main deck)?
2) can I do one pour (deck and coping base) with a 2" (ish) 'lip' that will allow the flagstone to sit directly on the edge of the pool wall and the main deck to be even with the flagstone?
3) do I need to install j-hook rebar through the pool wall/lip so it extends into the main deck? Out how far? 18"?
4) do I have to bond the water/pool to the rebar in the deck? There aren't any other metal items/components within 5 feet of the pool...

I'm sure there are other questions, but I'll ask as they come up.

My pool is supposed to be delivered/installed on the 29th of June (2 weeks!)

Cheers,
Dan

image5.jpgimage4.jpg

Hello Dan! Take a look at my pool at the link below (My pool). You'll see how we did ours. My responses:
1 - Our coping concrete base was poured at the same time as the surrounding deck
2 - Yes, that's how ours was done
3 - Yes. The installer hammer-drilled through the lip of the pool and installed the J-shaped rebar so it would be supported by the concrete. I don't remember exactly how long. Maybe you can tell from the pics.
4 - Yes, we have a ground that I believe you can barely see in the pics. It goes from the pump motor back to and all around the pool.

Hope this helps. Pots more pics as you go. We love to see other projects. Good luck!

Awesome, thanks for the guidance! Your install is exactly like what I'd like to do and was conceptualizing! It looks like your mortar bed goes up to and over the lip of the pool. Do you recall if you had to sand the gelcoat off the pool to get it to stick? I've read that you need to do that, but I am worried about voiding the pool warranty. Also, do you recall if you (or the PB) installed any sealant around the lip of the pool under the flagstone, or is it just the mortar bed under there.

Any issues since installation with cracking of the deck/coping?

Also, I'm on the other side of San Antonio (Medina Lake)... do you remember who did your concrete work? I'm trying to find someone now to do mine (as well as trying to get a good price/understand what is appropriate for a pour like this).

Thanks again!
Dan

P.S. I'll post more pics as the install progresses!

Hi Dan,

I did something similar to my fiberglass pool but I flagstoned the entire deck. A link is below in case you want to check it out. I DIYed the pool install as well as the flagstoning it so I am pretty familiar with the whole process if you have any questions. In regards to your second question about adhering the flagstone to the pool coping, I just ran my cement bed right out to the end of the coping and pushed the flagstone down into it. I taped a plastic sheet under the coping and set that on a bogey board to catch the cement as it fell into the pool. I did use a cement bonding agent on the underside of each flagstone as well as on the concrete deck and pool coping. Also, after the fact, I did a waterline tile right up to the underside of the flagstone and then used the silicone grout to seal the tile to the bottom of flagstone. That worked out really well and gave me a nice waterproof seal to the whole thing. The waterline tile also makes it almost impossible to tell it is a fiberglass pool.

Keith

New pool proj.Flagstoning around (and on) my fiberglass pool

I actually found your pool on google (I think) when searching for flagstone coping on a fiberglass pool, Keith! Your pool is what brought me to this site!

I really like the way everything turned out. I didn't even think about trying to pour my own deck a little at a time... my original thought was to just do the flaging around the coping and then have a poured deck for the rest... I might seriously consider doing the whole thing in flagstone like yours! However, I know that's a lot of work! I've put down a lot of flagstone in walkways around the house and a lot of limestone in raised beds and most recently (still finishing now) a fit pit in the backyard... still in progress!

Thanks again!
Dan

It is definitely slow going. But at least you have the sub-deck poured so it is really completely usable once that is done. I think I took 6-10 months to do mine a few square feet at a . I do not see how you could ever afford to contract that type of work. It is just so time intensive that one would have to charge many thousands in just labor for the work!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.