Problem with GFCI

ned8377

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
Wake Forest, NC
Is this normal?

In the picture below you see a control panel with two timers and two toggle switches. The first timer is for the main pump and the second one is for the booster pump. The first toggle switch is for the lights and the second toggle switch is for the main pump. There are three settings for the toggle switches, remote at the bottom, off in the middle and on all the way up. There is a GFCI on the bottom right side.

If the GFCI is tripped the toggle switches won't work but the timers will work. I found that out today when I could not get the toggle switches to work before the timer had cut the pump on. Finally realized the GFCI had been tripped. After resetting it the toggle switches worked like they should.

If the GFCI is tripped shouldn't it shut down everything?

20150615_103013_zpso8hxjjug.jpg

Pumps are not always on GFCIs ... I think that might be in the newer codes?

I would have expected the GFCI outlet to only control the light which must be on a GFCI.
The observations you describe do see a little odd.

You may have to open the panel and try to understand how everything is wired (if you are comfortable with that).

So, that makes sense that the only thing that should be on GFCI is the lights. The lights are 120 just like the GFCI plug. What stumps me is the pump toggle switch doesn't work either. Would the pump toggle switch somehow be 120v but controlling the 240v pump? This pool was put in in 2010. Should I just not worry about it or call an electrician?

The pump toggle switch may be controlling a 120V coil relay, switching the 240V for the pump.

Loose the 120V, loose the control voltage for the relay/solenoid.

You would need to open that cabinet to confirm, and probably best to get a licensed electrician.

Dom

I really appreciate everyone's advice here!

Now that I think about it, the GFCI is on a 120V plug so there is no way it could control the 240V circuit unless it was indirectly controlling it just like domct203 said above.

So what I am hearing here is that the pump and or heater etc don't need to be on a GFCI and are usually only hooked up to breakers. I guess they make GFCI's for 240V but I have never heard of one.

Has anyone ever heard of a GFCI for 240V or pool pumps etc that have more safety than just a breaker?

I would not believe an electrician over the phone without seeing the system.
As stated above, current code would have the pumps on a GFCI, although a breaker.
That does not mean that whoever setup your system didn't do it wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.