Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problem with GFCI

1. Back To Top    #1

Problem with GFCI

Is this normal?

In the picture below you see a control panel with two timers and two toggle switches. The first timer is for the main pump and the second one is for the booster pump. The first toggle switch is for the lights and the second toggle switch is for the main pump. There are three settings for the toggle switches, remote at the bottom, off in the middle and on all the way up. There is a GFCI on the bottom right side.

If the GFCI is tripped the toggle switches won't work but the timers will work. I found that out today when I could not get the toggle switches to work before the timer had cut the pump on. Finally realized the GFCI had been tripped. After resetting it the toggle switches worked like they should.

If the GFCI is tripped shouldn't it shut down everything?

True L 45,000 gal Hayward IG vinyl pool. Hayward Tristar 2.40 THP; 1.5 FRHP/1.60 SF. Hayward Model # S310T2 Sand Filter. Aqua Rite T-15. Aqua Comfort 154,000 BTU Heat Pump. TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Problem with GFCI

Pumps are not always on GFCIs ... I think that might be in the newer codes?

I would have expected the GFCI outlet to only control the light which must be on a GFCI.
    The observations you describe do see a little odd.

You may have to open the panel and try to understand how everything is wired (if you are comfortable with that).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

So, that makes sense that the only thing that should be on GFCI is the lights. The lights are 120 just like the GFCI plug. What stumps me is the pump toggle switch doesn't work either. Would the pump toggle switch somehow be 120v but controlling the 240v pump? This pool was put in in 2010. Should I just not worry about it or call an electrician?
    True L 45,000 gal Hayward IG vinyl pool. Hayward Tristar 2.40 THP; 1.5 FRHP/1.60 SF. Hayward Model # S310T2 Sand Filter. Aqua Rite T-15. Aqua Comfort 154,000 BTU Heat Pump. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

The pump toggle switch may be controlling a 120V coil relay, switching the 240V for the pump.

Loose the 120V, loose the control voltage for the relay/solenoid.

You would need to open that cabinet to confirm, and probably best to get a licensed electrician.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I really appreciate everyone's advice here!

Now that I think about it, the GFCI is on a 120V plug so there is no way it could control the 240V circuit unless it was indirectly controlling it just like domct203 said above.

So what I am hearing here is that the pump and or heater etc don't need to be on a GFCI and are usually only hooked up to breakers. I guess they make GFCI's for 240V but I have never heard of one.

Has anyone ever heard of a GFCI for 240V or pool pumps etc that have more safety than just a breaker?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

240 volt GFCI's (Breakers) do exist and are used all the time. I believe the last 2 NEC code cycles require pumps to have them.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Just talked with an electrician on the phone and he assured me that the pump would not be hooked up to the GFCI. Thanks everyone.

8. Back To Top    #8

I would not believe an electrician over the phone without seeing the system.
    As stated above, current code would have the pumps on a GFCI, although a breaker.
    That does not mean that whoever setup your system didn't do it wrong.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!