Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: plumbing leak in return line (found, looking for tips on the repair)

1. Back To Top    #1

Question plumbing leak in return line (found, looking for tips on the repair)

Hi! I recently bought a new to me house that came along with an in-ground pool. After doing my startup, it became apparent that i had a pretty bad leak. After a few weeks investigating, i decided to dig. Bingo, found the leak. The 2nd pic is of the t fitting that feeds one of my returns. The pipe on the right continues on to the other return line. It appears that this has shifted over time and has almost entirely pulled off the t fitting. I don't think that i can pull that line over far enough to get a good bite on that fitting. I'm hoping for suggestions from the gracious pool community on how to properly fix this. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    11393430_10155761807470093_3797089187858719833_o.jpgleak .jpg

Thanks very much,
    Ian

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: plumbing leak in return line (found, looking for tips on the repair)

Welcome to TFP!!!

I can not think of an "easy" solution. Working with that poly pipe can be quite difficult.
    Hopefully someone might have a thought.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Eek, PE pipe with chlorinated water?
    24k gallon inground vinyl liner pool, 8'-3' depth, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, basic 5 chem kit.
    Hayward: DE-60 filter, Superpump VS, AquaRite salt chlorinator w/T-Cell 15, TigerShark QC robot. Jacuzzi hot tub ~350gal. Air blower type, w/8 jets.

4. Back To Top    #4

In my experience there are 2 things you can do. Either buy a poly wrap and hope it works or you can buy a splice and put it in to the right toward your other return. This should give you enough slack to redo your T correctly. If you cut a section of that HDPE out you can take it to a plumbing supply house and they can tell you what PVC compression fittings fit it. Then replace your T with glue PVC. HDPE lasts forever but fitting it together has its challenges if you don't fuse it.
    35000 gal vinyl inground. Sand filter. Age unknown

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks for the replies. phillipwyse, I'll try cutting a section out tomorrow like you suggested.

6. Back To Top    #6

I can't tell from your picture how high your water is. If the pool level is above the returns it would be prudent to plug them before cutting the pipe.
    33k Gallon IG Freeform Gunite built in 1989 - Renovated Spring 2012 with Diamondbrite Plaster and elevated spa converted to waterfall
    Jandy Aqualink PDA Automation & Control System - Jandy PlusHP 1.5hp Full rated Pump - Hayward 36in Sand Filter - Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit