Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie with test results on new pool. TA very high

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie with test results on new pool. TA very high

These are the test results from our new pool. Finished filling yesterday. Pumps running but swg is not on yet. TA is really high wondering what I can do about that. Water clarity is not bad. Wondering when I should add the salt and turn on the swg?
    FC- .6
    CC- .10
    PH- 7.8
    TA- 275
    CH- 175
    CYA- 30

Taylor k2006 test kit
    22 x 52 intex ultra frame
    intex sand filter and swg
    Hayward thru wall skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie with test results on new pool. TA very high

Quote Originally Posted by MartyMart View Post
    These are the test results from our new pool. Finished filling yesterday. Pumps running but swg is not on yet. TA is really high wondering what I can do about that. Water clarity is not bad. Wondering when I should add the salt and turn on the swg?
    FC- .6
    CC- .10
    PH- 7.8
    TA- 275
    CH- 175
    CYA- 30

Taylor k2006 test kit
    Hmmmm. check the decimal places on those chlorine readings. The Taylor kit isn't that accurate.

Secondly, repeat that TA test but wipe the tip of the bottle off with a damp paper towel before testing and between each drop. Static electricity on new bottles is a known problem, and will make the drops too small, hence more, hence falsely high TA.

Once you have the TA reading, plug numbers into poolmath and lower pH to 7.2 with acid. Give that half an hour and raise the FC to 5 or 6, if it isn't already.

Salt can go in anytime. You'll want higher CYA if you're going to use the SWG, too. Has yours all dissolved yet> What did you target? I suggest holding Diamond Day if there are any children in the household.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!