Algae line on rocks

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
My water-feature rocks have an algae line at water level. I’ve maintained FC levels ~5 and water is nice and clear. Can I just scrub away at the algae line and let the regular FC levels do its job or do I have to slam the pool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely need to hit that with chlorine.

I have rocks hanging in my pool and I never see that. Does that area get good water circulation? If your pool FC. Is properly maintained at target, stuff like that shouldn't form. My guess is that you have poor water circulation in that area and the FC locally drops too low.

I bet you are right. My pool always has good FC and the water is always clear. However, that area with the rocks has a shallow step area and dirt is always forming there, even w/ the in-floor. Also I notice when a ball or the temp floater gets over there it never really moves away. I guess I just need to manually wash that area with some chlorine on a regular basis

I see your scale problem on the tile as well.

Anyway to point a return over by the waterfall, increase circulation somehow? Either that or you might have to make a regular habit of brushing vigorously in that area to get more chlorine over there.

Do you run the waterfall regularly? I have to run mine at least twice a day for 30mins to ensure enough water flow in the little pools embedded in it or else they can go swamp-green in a day.

i don't run it regularly but maybe I will give that a try to have some fresh chlorinated water run over it. I have my wells setup to where the water completely drains into the pipes so I have no residual water sitting up in the feature. Before I did that change, I had a nightmare of water sitting in those little pools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i don't run it regularly but maybe I will give that a try to have some fresh chlorinated water run over it. I have my wells setup to where the water completely drains into the pipes so I have no residual water sitting up in the feature. Before I did that change, I had a nightmare of water sitting in those little pools.

Good to know I'm not alone. I'm looking into filling in the little splash pools with stone and cement so that the waterfall goes completely dry when the pump shuts off. It's too much of a pain to take care of the way it is now and I hate having to run the waterfall everyday as it adds to the aeration and pH rise. I don't mind it for pool parties and when the kids play but I prefer not to waste the electricity on pumping water to the falls just to keep algae at bay.

Good luck with the algae line.

I would mix up a 50/50 solution of bleach and water to spray on that waterline algae. Scrub it when it's dead and make sure you are always good on FC level for your Cya. If you can't keep the water on that area/level it may be something that comes back on you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.