Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae

Is it possible to have algae with a .5 ppm loss on OCLT and no cc's. I have patches of green on the sides of pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae

Welcome to TFP!!!

It is possible. If you see algae, you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, it happened to me last Saturday. Water was/is crystal clear and CC was 0. The reason it happened to me is because my chlorine level dropped to 1.5ppm due to high swim load and lack of testing on my part. It is important to keep the chlorine level above the minimum level for your CYA level at ALL times. Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I think thats what happened,I put a puck floater in pool while on vacation.I started slaming last night.
    AG 18x33 vinyl JW titan, 15500 gal. AO smith 2 speed pump. waterway FC100 cartridge filter.Raypak 8350 Heat pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the help. pooldv did you SLAM your pool? How long did process take?

6. Back To Top    #6

The SLAM process takes as long as it takes ... could be a few days, could be a few weeks. Depends on what is in the water and how diligent you are.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Cleaned mine up in 2 days. I brushed the pool about 4 times each day and brushed the algae spots about 30 times per day. Also took the light out beginning of day one and cleaned that out. Brushed a little more on day 3 but there was nothing to brush.

It was really terrible to have hang out in the pool all day for 2 days in the sun with tasty beverages! But, I do whatever it takes to keep my TFP clean!

Pool is absolutely spotless, I could not find a speck of algae last night. And I am still keeping chlorine at about 20 just to be on the safe side. CYA is 70. If it is still spotless tonight I might start letting it drop.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

That does sound terrible!! Unfortunately it's raining cats and dogs and I keep having to lower the water level. I just finished vacuuming and brushing walls in the rain. Going to add more chlorine. Glad to hear your pool is looking good.
    AG 18x33 vinyl JW titan, 15500 gal. AO smith 2 speed pump. waterway FC100 cartridge filter.Raypak 8350 Heat pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

That does sound terrible!! Unfortunately it's raining cats and dogs and I keep having to lower the water level. I just finished vacuuming and brushing walls in the rain. Going to add more chlorine. Glad to hear your pool is looking good.