Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to estimate time it takes to pump one full cycle

1. Back To Top    #1

How to estimate time it takes to pump one full cycle

Brand new pool owner here. I'm a budding DIY kinda guy, so I love the mentality on this site!
    I swear a saw a youtube video explaining how to calculate the time it takes to cycle through all of the water in your pool, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Can anybody tell me an easy way to estimate cycle time? I know that a flow meter would be the most accurate, but for now, I just want a ballpark.

Thanks!
    - 16,800 gallons (including hot tub), IG, plaster, Cartridge filter (Jandy 460 C.L.), Jandy Stealth 1HP pump
    - Built in May, 2015
    - Taylor test kit
    - Hot tub connected to pool (slightly higher than the pool, water overflows into pool)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to estimate time it takes to pump one full cycle

Welcome to TFP!!!

Generally turn-overs and flow rate do not really matter. Usually no more than 4-6 hours of pump run time is required. Check out: Determine Pump Run Time
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I read the pool school article, but I just wanted to know as a base line. Plus, I thought that if you added solid CYA, then you should definitely run at least a full cycle since the acid could corrode the pipes/plaster. Is that true?
    - 16,800 gallons (including hot tub), IG, plaster, Cartridge filter (Jandy 460 C.L.), Jandy Stealth 1HP pump
    - Built in May, 2015
    - Taylor test kit
    - Hot tub connected to pool (slightly higher than the pool, water overflows into pool)

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like bogus information to me. CYA is not very acidic compared to muriatic acid used for lowering the pH.

We do not recommend pouring CYA into the skimmer anyway. You should put it in a sock and put that in the skimmer basket or hang it in front of a return jet.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pc132 View Post
    I read the pool school article, but I just wanted to know as a base line. Plus, I thought that if you added solid CYA, then you should definitely run at least a full cycle since the acid could corrode the pipes/plaster. Is that true?
    Welcome fellow pool newbie!

I just took the total volume of my pool water and divided by the rate of flow (GPM) based on the specs of my pump. That gave me the amount of time, in minutes, that the pump needs to run at that speed to turn over my volume of water.

Then I could make calculations based on the speed the pump was running to tweak lowering the RPM to save $$ on electric.

I did all that, dialed in my pump to turn over water 2X - then came on this site and was told it's not that important.

Oh well, it was a good learning experience.

Oh and I don't have an answer about hazards of CYA - except to not backwash or clean your filter for at least a week after adding, to allow it to fully dissolve.
    I think when I added mine (15 lbs) slurried it up, and added I was told to keep the pump running full time for a couple days.

Enjoy -
    Devon
    ~20K Colored Plaster (Sliver) IG Pool Only - Basically New (5/15)
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump / Jandy DEV60 DE Filter
    Raypack LoNox 407A - ASME - Electronic Ignition
    ThePoolCleaner / TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

You can not just look at the GPM rating of the pump. That is going to be MUCH higher than reality.

And if you add the CYA in a sock like we recommend, the backwashing is not that big of a deal and you do not have to wait a week.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    You can not just look at the GPM rating of the pump. That is going to be MUCH higher than reality.

Ah, Thanks for the clarification. Good thing it isn't that important. I'll just worry about time for pool cleaner then, not water turnover.

And if you add the CYA in a sock like we recommend, the backwashing is not that big of a deal and you do not have to wait a week.
    Yes, got all the good information from this site AFTER my pool contractor instructions were implemented.

Thanks to all on this site.

Devon
    ~20K Colored Plaster (Sliver) IG Pool Only - Basically New (5/15)
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump / Jandy DEV60 DE Filter
    Raypack LoNox 407A - ASME - Electronic Ignition
    ThePoolCleaner / TF-100