How to estimate time it takes to pump one full cycle

pc132

Jun 12, 2015
La Crescenta. CA
Brand new pool owner here. I'm a budding DIY kinda guy, so I love the mentality on this site!
I swear a saw a youtube video explaining how to calculate the time it takes to cycle through all of the water in your pool, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Can anybody tell me an easy way to estimate cycle time? I know that a flow meter would be the most accurate, but for now, I just want a ballpark.

Thanks!

I read the pool school article, but I just wanted to know as a base line. Plus, I thought that if you added solid CYA, then you should definitely run at least a full cycle since the acid could corrode the pipes/plaster. Is that true?

Welcome fellow pool newbie!

I just took the total volume of my pool water and divided by the rate of flow (GPM) based on the specs of my pump. That gave me the amount of time, in minutes, that the pump needs to run at that speed to turn over my volume of water.

Then I could make calculations based on the speed the pump was running to tweak lowering the RPM to save $$ on electric.

I did all that, dialed in my pump to turn over water 2X - then came on this site and was told it's not that important.:brickwall:

Oh well, it was a good learning experience.

Oh and I don't have an answer about hazards of CYA - except to not backwash or clean your filter for at least a week after adding, to allow it to fully dissolve.
I think when I added mine (15 lbs) slurried it up, and added I was told to keep the pump running full time for a couple days.

Enjoy -
Devon

You can not just look at the GPM rating of the pump. That is going to be MUCH higher than reality.

And if you add the CYA in a sock like we recommend, the backwashing is not that big of a deal and you do not have to wait a week.

You can not just look at the GPM rating of the pump. That is going to be MUCH higher than reality.

Ah, Thanks for the clarification. Good thing it isn't that important. I'll just worry about time for pool cleaner then, not water turnover.

And if you add the CYA in a sock like we recommend, the backwashing is not that big of a deal and you do not have to wait a week.

Yes, got all the good information from this site AFTER my pool contractor instructions were implemented.

Thanks to all on this site.

Devon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.