Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: can I vacuum pool on filter instead of waste??

1. Back To Top    #1

can I vacuum pool on filter instead of waste??

I have a sand filter is it fine to vacuum pool on filter when slamming and or just general cleaning . Or when sucking up dead Algea should it be on waste when slamming
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    Jacuzzi laser sand filter
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

2. Back To Top    #2
    Seattle, WA

Re: can I vacuum pool on filter instead of waste??

It doesn't take much dead algae or other detritis to cause you to have to backwash your sand filter. That will put some water down the drain, but if it's less than what you'd loose by vacuuming to waste, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: can I vacuum pool on filter instead of waste??

I don't have a waste option, so I always vacuum on filter. And I have one of those easy-clog DE filters.

If you're talking about mountains of debris that would fill a wheelbarrow, use waste. If the pool is so green you can't even see what you're vacuuming, use waste. If it's just what would be a few handfuls, filter it out. Less water wasted on a backwash than on vacuuming to waste. That means less rebalancing. Unless the chemistry is messed up and you need to replace some water. Then use waste.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!