Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AutoPilot Digital Nano or Pentair Intellichlor IC40......Let the battle begin!

1. Back To Top    #1

AutoPilot Digital Nano or Pentair Intellichlor IC40......Let the battle begin!

Have weeded down my choice for a SWG to these two (unless someone else has a really good recommendation). I know all SWG's have their pros and cons, but what say you TFP experts?

Also, I have spent the weekend reading some horror stories about SWG. Some have said, especially those in SW Florida, that summer rains make it very hard for SWG to work properly. Any truth to that?

Thanks.
    16k gal, IG pool and spa, pool 29x14, pebble, 1983, 1.5" plumbing, Pentair Intelliflo VSP, Pentair Quad DE, Zodiac Aqualink Z4-PSi, AquaRite T15 SWG, Aquatherm AT115

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AutoPilot Digital Nano or Pentair Intellichlor IC40......Let the battle begin!

Quote Originally Posted by sag365 View Post
    Also, I have spent the weekend reading some horror stories about SWG. Some have said, especially those in SW Florida, that summer rains make it very hard for SWG to work properly. Any truth to that?
    Was that on this forum? The rain should not impact the ability of the SWG to keep up if you have your chemistry balanced.

Personally I like the Hayward SWGs ... a nice mid-range unit that is widely used and thus easy to find help. Note that without Pentair automation, their SWG is limited to 20% output increments AND the cells are more expensive to replace.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: AutoPilot Digital Nano or Pentair Intellichlor IC40......Let the battle begin!

Only thing I can think of with rain (a lot) is it would dilute water, lower salt concentration. But I'd think this would be a given - if you have a SWG you have to maintain the salt to within the manufacturers specifications. Doesn't mean the SWG doesn't work correctly.

As for brand, I'd consider what, if any, automation or other equipment you plan to put in in the future. Try to stick with the same brand for everything where it matters. Otherwise, stand-alone, I'd say the Autopilot over the Pentair due to what jbizzle mentions (and I love my IC40...so far).
    30k plaster pool
    Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo, Pentair CCP520, IC40 SWG, IntelliPH Acid system
    Easytouch 4 + ScreenLogic2

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the autopilot, and love it.
    14000 gallon 16x32 roman in ground vinyl, Hayward 140k heat pump, swg, de filter 1 1\2 HP v.s. pump. Built in June 2014. Tf100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

I love my pentair IC40. Had it 3 years and will get another when the time comes.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

As you can see op, I don't think you can go wrong with either.
    14000 gallon 16x32 roman in ground vinyl, Hayward 140k heat pump, swg, de filter 1 1\2 HP v.s. pump. Built in June 2014. Tf100 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Think I am going to go with the Hayward!
    16k gal, IG pool and spa, pool 29x14, pebble, 1983, 1.5" plumbing, Pentair Intelliflo VSP, Pentair Quad DE, Zodiac Aqualink Z4-PSi, AquaRite T15 SWG, Aquatherm AT115

8. Back To Top    #8

LOL, that wasn't one of your choices! Plenty of happy people with Hayward SWGs too.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach