Redundant GFCIs

domct203

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 3, 2015
CT
I have an Intex pump that has the attached GFCI. This makes it a pain in the butt to plug into my GFCI outlet when using a weather proof box. I have to use an extention cord to plug it in, even though it could reach on its own.

Is is there any safety benefit using two GFCIs in series, or am I safe to cut it off and use a standard plug directly into my GFCI outlet?

I would think that as long as I use a proper working GFCI outlet I should be fine.

What say ye?

Dom

I would say if you have a GFCI outlet that close to the equipment, then it's ok BUT you're probably going to void any Intex warranties on the equipment because of the modification.

Just as an anecdote, I have an outdoor 120V/15A line that runs for quite a distance to various parts of the backyard (basketball court lights, BBQ island, small water feature, etc) and I think it has 3 GFCI's all along the same line. It's a totally pain in the posterior when one of them trips because I have to go and test & reset each one to figure out the culprit.

I'm not an electrician, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. I had to cut mine off. I use a external timer to run my Intex pump and stand-alone SWG (just to give me more control over when it runs), and it would trip the GFCI on the pump everytime the timer kicked it on.

No one has been electrocuted yet in three years. YMMV.

Multiple GFi's should never be on the same circuit. This can be a code violation in some areas. I've had inspectors specifically check for this. The GFI must be the first receptical in the run, all others should be standard outlets. Any outlets prior to the GFI will not be protected.

The only way around this is if you were to wire each GFI independent of the incoming and outgoing power supply. I don't see any advantage to this and it creates more expense since the GFI's are so much more expensive than the standard outlets.

The GFI has a line input and a load output. The line is the incoming power and the load it the power from the GFI to the rest of the run. Any deviation from this will not allow the GFI to do its job. If the power trips on a circuit, it can only be the circuit breaker or the ONE GFI on the circuit.

Multiple GFi's should never be on the same circuit. This is a code violation. The GFI must be the first receptical in the run, all others should be standard outlets. Any outlets prior to the GFI will not be protected.

The only way around this is if you were to wire each GFI independent of the incoming and outgoing power supply. I don't see any advantage to this and it creates more expense since the GFI's are so much more expensive than the standard outlets.

The GFI has a line input and a load output. The line is the incoming power and the load it the power from the GFI to the rest of the run. Any deviation from this will not allow the GFI to do its job. If the power trips on a circuit, it can only be the circuit breaker or the ONE GFI on the circuit.

Inherited a lot of stupid (probably just lazy) electrical issues. The first receptacle on the outdoor line is a GFCI. All the rest were just installed probably because the people doing it thought "hey, why not use a GFCI outlet". So I spend my free time fixing rookie mistakes like that when I can as well as putting wall switches in the right direction. No joke, there are single switched ceiling lights in the house where off is up.....never buy a house circa 2005-2006 in the Las Vegas/Phoenix/Tucson area, they were all slap-dash construction because of the housing bubble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.....never buy a house circa 2005-2006 in the Las Vegas/Phoenix/Tucson area, they were all slap-dash construction because of the housing bubble.

That can probably hold true anywhere during that time. Crazy how different building departments are in different counties and states. The plan check engineers here are absolute tyrants...:spiderman:

That can probably hold true anywhere during that time. Crazy how different building departments are in different counties and states. The plan check engineers here are absolute tyrants...:spiderman:

Honestly I prefer the building code enforcers being tyrants to trusting most home developers (local and nation wide big boys) to do it right because the developers will do whatever they can, including using shoddy contractors and sub-standard hardware, to save a buck and pad their bottom lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.