First test with new kit..I think I need help!

Jan 17, 2014
Apple Valley, Ca
I just got my Taylor K-2006 today and went right out to run my first test. However, I'm almost wishing I hadn't now that I've seen my results. Ignorance is bliss!

FC-3.5
CC-0.5
PH-7.0
TA-80
CH-600

My CYA appears to be my biggest issue, due to it reading higher than the scale allows, have no idea what the actual reading is.
Jimmy's Phone 06-2015 154.jpg

I want to take a sample to Leslie's to confirm my results, but I know a lot of TFP members say they are notoriously inaccurate. Should I trust my results, and if so, where do I start?

- - - Updated - - -

I should also mention I have no visible calcium issues, and only very mild algae growth. Now that I have a good test kit I'm planning on performing a SLAM very soon.

Trust your numbers. 100 is the limit of the CYA test, so at this level we are unsure if it is 100 or some number above 100. Don't equate “just a little over 100” to a number, the tube is not marked for such extrapolation. At this point I would recommend at least a 33% water exchange to get the CYA down. For vinyl lined pools leave at least one foot of water in the shallow end to keep from floating the liner and all pool owners are cautioned that in areas with a high water table lowering the water too much can “float” the pool out of the ground.

I would hope your fill water is less than 600 CH, so a partial drain & refill will bring that down also.

The only other real option is reverse osmosis which I thnk is available in your area, but very expensive. But, you have to balance the expense with what a drain/refill may cost in water. RO will bring the CH down also.

The CYA can be better tested using the dilution method in Extended Test Kit Directions Post 8, step 9

The only for sure way to get it down is draining and refilling. Reverse Osmosis isn't available in your area. Not even in mine. There is also a new product called Bio-Active that is supposed to reduce CYA. Thus far, reports have not been good. Use the search box up in the corner for it and see for yourself.

If the water is clear and you have no algae, the pool can be maintained with super high CYA. I've done it, same situation as you. High CYA, high CH, and refilling it would bring the water police out. I don't recommend it, because it's not easy, but it can be done. Had Bioactive been available five years ago, I would have gambled and tried it.

Lastly 600 CH isn't really that bad. Keep the pH down between 7.2 & 7.4 and lower TA to 70 and you should be safe from scaling.

Happy trails

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.