Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First test with new kit..I think I need help!

1. Back To Top    #1

First test with new kit..I think I need help!

I just got my Taylor K-2006 today and went right out to run my first test. However, I'm almost wishing I hadn't now that I've seen my results. Ignorance is bliss!

FC-3.5
    CC-0.5
    PH-7.0
    TA-80
    CH-600

My CYA appears to be my biggest issue, due to it reading higher than the scale allows, have no idea what the actual reading is.
    Jimmy's Phone 06-2015 154.jpg

I want to take a sample to Leslie's to confirm my results, but I know a lot of TFP members say they are notoriously inaccurate. Should I trust my results, and if so, where do I start?

- - - Updated - - -

I should also mention I have no visible calcium issues, and only very mild algae growth. Now that I have a good test kit I'm planning on performing a SLAM very soon.
    20'x40' 36,000 gallon IG plaster pool
    Pentair Quad DE 80 Cartridge filter w/ NO backwash valve
    1HP Variable Speed Pump
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    20-25year old pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First test with new kit..I think I need help!

Trust your numbers. 100 is the limit of the CYA test, so at this level we are unsure if it is 100 or some number above 100. Don't equate “just a little over 100” to a number, the tube is not marked for such extrapolation. At this point I would recommend at least a 33% water exchange to get the CYA down. For vinyl lined pools leave at least one foot of water in the shallow end to keep from floating the liner and all pool owners are cautioned that in areas with a high water table lowering the water too much can “float” the pool out of the ground.

I would hope your fill water is less than 600 CH, so a partial drain & refill will bring that down also.

The only other real option is reverse osmosis which I thnk is available in your area, but very expensive. But, you have to balance the expense with what a drain/refill may cost in water. RO will bring the CH down also.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info Tim. Due to my impatience and fear of impending water usage (this is California after all) I went ahead and took a sample to Leslie's. They read my CYA at only 60, and CH at 370, so I think I may have done something wrong.
    20'x40' 36,000 gallon IG plaster pool
    Pentair Quad DE 80 Cartridge filter w/ NO backwash valve
    1HP Variable Speed Pump
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    20-25year old pool

4. Back To Top    #4

The CYA can be better tested using the dilution method in Extended Test Kit Directions Post 8, step 9

The only for sure way to get it down is draining and refilling. Reverse Osmosis isn't available in your area. Not even in mine. There is also a new product called Bio-Active that is supposed to reduce CYA. Thus far, reports have not been good. Use the search box up in the corner for it and see for yourself.

If the water is clear and you have no algae, the pool can be maintained with super high CYA. I've done it, same situation as you. High CYA, high CH, and refilling it would bring the water police out. I don't recommend it, because it's not easy, but it can be done. Had Bioactive been available five years ago, I would have gambled and tried it.

Lastly 600 CH isn't really that bad. Keep the pH down between 7.2 & 7.4 and lower TA to 70 and you should be safe from scaling.

Happy trails
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!