About to make the change! Soon! But I'm nervous!

BigRobRN

Silver Supporter
Jun 14, 2015
Greenwell Springs, LA
Hello all. Greetings from sunny, hot and humid, often rainy Baton Rouge, LA. I had my pool installed/constructed/built 3 years ago at the constant, repeated, unforgiving, daily, never ending requests from my wife.
I guess I will start with the basics:
18x36 IG vinyl liner pool
1.5 HP pentair pump
large pentair tegalurus sand filter
inline chlorinator
kreepy krawley 4 wheeled automatic cleaner
water volume approx 25,000 gallons
one skimmer basket, 2 drains at deep end
4 water return jets

First, thank you for this site. I have been lurking and reading on here off and on for about 2-3 years. I know my method of keeping my pool clear isn't the cheapest, isn't the smartest, isn't the wisest, and I'm ready to start my own pool water testing and stay away from my local pool store as much as possible.

I apologize, but I am an EZ pool user. My pool builder suggested it. I have maintained virtually a clear pool year round since I built it. I enjoy taking care of my pool. But, I am spending too much dang money on it and I'm ready to take charge. I will simplify my pool care: when I am home from work (I work 24 hr shifts at the FD) I look at my pool every day. I empty my skimmer basket as needed. I empty my secondary basket on the pump as needed. I run my automatic cleaner about 2-3 times a week for maybe 3 hours. On either Saturday or Sunday I add 4 scoops of EZ pool to it, refill my chlorinator with the pucks, set my dial to 2.5-3.0 depending on the water test results, backwash and rinse (before adding my chems of course) add some Super Blue clarifier to it as a maintenance dose, and sometimes I will use perfect pool+phos free as a maintenance dose. I have my water tested at my local pool store every 14 days. I am not doing my own testing like a fool. But, I will have my Taylor K-2006 in tomorrow. My clean filter pressure is 20. I backwash when it rises to 25-26, that is normally every 14 days.

I just finished reading pool school for the second time and it makes perfect sense. I think I can do it. But, I am a bit apprehensive. Why? I don't know. I guess because what I am doing is working. But, I am tired of spending the $180 plus tax every ten weeks or so for the EZ pool. I understand it is copper sulfate based. I know I have too much CYA in my pool due to my pucks (last reading was 70). My normal chlorine readings are FC 2.0 and TC 2.0, that is where I was suggested to keep it. I guess because the copper sulfate in EZ pool is keeping the algae at bay. I have had no algae problems. I don't feel my local pool store is taking advantage of me. Many times I go in there, get the water checked, and am told just keep doing what you are doing.

My pool gets very hot during the summer. Mid 90's sometimes by the afternoon. It gets direct sunlight about 10 hours a day from 0800 - 1800 hrs. I am currently running my pump from 1000 - 2000 hrs, 10 hours a day. I run my pump year round, but dial back the hours during the cold winter months. I do not have a heater for the water.

So, why am I here? I want to take charge. I want to simplify. I don't think I need the copper based product. I think I can do it. If I don't need Super Blue clarifier, then I will stop using it. If I really don't need perfect pool+phos free, I will stop using it.

Question:
Is it advised to COMPLETELY shut off my inline chlorinator? That for some reason makes me nervous. My pool, I think, will manage the CYA levels if I dial back my inline chlorinator low enough to keep the level in correct range (due to sunlight)?
I would like to continue to use it, at very low settings, if possible. But, if the pucks are simply a waste of money, I will discontinue their usage. I spend about $95.00 on a 40 lb bucket roughly once a year.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Without your own accurate test results we can only talk in generalizations as we have no trust in pool store numbers. My pool store consistently told me my CYA was in the 80 range and when I finally saw the light and got a test kit I found out it was over 200. That you backwash every two weeks is suspicious, but not totally indicative of a problem.

As you know, EZ Pool is a copper based pool care system. You need to be careful with allowing your pH to rise too high or your water and hair of blond friends can turn green.

If you are like every other firefighter I know you like toys... I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy an dare neat to have;)

If your CYA is truly 80, yes turn off the chlorinator. If you want to automate chlorine additions without messing up your CYA level look into a salt water generator of a Stenner Pump.

Welcome to the forum!

Since your CYA is above the range that we recommend, I would discontinue using the pucks and begin using plain unscented liquid bleach without any added thickeners as your chlorine source. I would save any unused pucks in the original bucket for later use while you are out of town and the pool will be unattended. The pucks will keep for years as long as they are in a sealed container and stored out of direct sunlight. Once you remove the pucks from the inline chlorinator, I would leave the chlorinator itself "on" so water will still circulate through it which will avoid stagnant water in the chlorinator.

BigRobRN said:
I don't think I need the copper based product.
You don't.
BigRobRN said:
I think I can do it.
You can!

One of the cornerstone principles of the TFP method is that chlorine, and chlorine alone, will sanitize your pool without the use of phosphate removers, algaecides, or clarifiers.

One other thing...You may be able to gradually reduce your pump run time once you switch to using liquid bleach for chlorine. If you haven't already, I would check out this article: Determine Pump Run Time. I used the method described in this article to dramatically reduce my pump run time while still maintaining a crystal-clear pool.

Thank you for the replies and any ones I may get in the future. I will probably get more response posting in the higher traveled forums on here.
I'm just extremely apprehensive about completely shutting off my chlorinator. I figure if I set it to 1, maybe 1.5, 2 at the highest and use bleach to keep it at the deisred level, I may feel more safe. Would this not help maintain a base level of chlorine and some, maybe a little CYA? Or will it build up?
I work 24 hr shifts, sometimes I can also be gone for 48-72 hours straight depending on work situations. What about being gone during vacation?
Again, I'm not trying to justify the pucks and buck the BBB system. It makes perfect sense. I have maintained a clear pool since it was built. I just worry about the times when I'm not here daily to check the water, and my pool being 100% DEPENDENT ON ME for its chlorine regulation.

Once you do it for a few weeks, you will figure out what you pool requires on a daily basis. Before I switched to a SWCG, my pool would require about 2 cups of bleach a day, and maybe once every 10(ish) days cup of muriatic acid. Save the pucks for those times you go away for days on end. It is usually pretty easy to ask a neighbor or friend to swing by and dump some bleach into the pool for you. Especially if they come swim often.

Welcome to TFP! Most of your questions have been responded to already, but feel free to re-post any time you have a concern. Lots of folks here who enjoy helping. Have a great day.

Also, don't forget to add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Another happy TFPer here ..... I started off pool ownership absolutely clueless and was extremely frustrated dealing with the kids at the pool store.

I bought into the concept here and couldn't be happier. I now take care of my next door neighbors pool too.

On top of keeping the water perfectly balanced i have received a great deal of general pool knowledge and have dealt with a floating liner and collapsed skimmer line all by myself without having to hire anyone!

Do it ... you won't regret it :cool: