Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA, Cl and SE Texas Rainfall!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA, Cl and SE Texas Rainfall!!!

2015 has brought Bookoos of rain to SE Texas. Unfortunately it seems like much more on the way with a tropical storm looming in the Gulf.
    Weve had so much water this year that Im back to using my tab chlorine feeder at full-blast (I let me CYA drop to 30PPM) Normally 1 bucket of tabs are good for the year, but Ill break into another this year. As much as we bash the tabs (for obvious reasons), they sure make it a bit more care-free. I may even go to cal-hypo to bring my levels back up.

FYI-Our last three-year-avg has been about 55inches, but our year-to-date 2015 is already at 40inches!!
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA, Cl and SE Texas Rainfall!!!

We only bash trichlor tablets when they are used blindly. You know what you are doing and understand their effects, so they very well are prefect for your current climate.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    2015 has brought Bookoo’s of rain to SE Texas. Unfortunately it seems like much more on the way with a tropical storm looming in the Gulf.
    We’ve had so much water this year that I’m back to using my tab chlorine feeder at full-blast (I let me CYA drop to 30PPM) Normally 1 bucket of tabs are good for the year, but I’ll break into another this year. As much as we bash the tabs (for obvious reasons), they sure make it a bit more care-free. I may even go to cal-hypo to bring my levels back up.

FYI-Our last three-year-avg has been about 55inches, but our year-to-date 2015 is already at 40inches!!
    I had to do the same thing. After that 10" rain overnight on Memorial Day my CYA went to "0" per pool store and I confirmed. I have been using pucks to get some CYA and control the dilution. Looks like we are going to get a frog strangler Tuesday though.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

4. Back To Top    #4

10" of rain should not make your CYA drop to 0ppm ... for that to happen you would have had to get 100% water replacement. 10" should have only lowered the CYA by about 25% ... assuming the pool did not fill with soil and bacteria and broke all the CYA down somehow.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes that is exactly what I thought when pool store said zero. Tested with tf100 and confirmed less then 10.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8