Where's my Chlorine and CYA??

Jspaz

Jun 13, 2015
Cedar Hill, mo
Opened my pool well over a month ago and I've been battling it since. To make a long story short, I stumbled on this site a few weeks ago and have been trying to use this system since, while waiting for chemical shipments, etc. When I opened the pool, it was INCREDIBLY green and I KNEW it was gonna be a beast to get under control. That was an understatement. As a history, tested the water and I was at 0 FC and CC, and 0 CYA. I added 8lbs of CYA on Wednesday, 6/10, as well as 5 121oz 8.25% bleach. On Saturday, without any backwashes or water to waste, all (FC, CC, CYA) were 0 again. My full readings from Saturday are:

PH: 7.4
TA: 120
FC: 0
CC: 0

On a pool store's recommendation, I added another 8lb (more) CYA on Saturday, and then 12 128oz 10% pool shock. Now, my FC levels are STILL 0, while everything else has remained steady. Suggestions? I could add more liquid shock, but I don't really want to waste it.

What was the state of the pool last year? How was it chlorinated? With 0 CYA when opening, that's a red flag for CYA to ammonia conversion if there was CYA in the pool last season. If that were the case, you're better off attacking the ammonia with liquid shock/bleach BEFORE adding CYA to the pool. How were you adding the CYA? Typically, CYA takes several days to dissolve fully and should be put in a sock and into the skimmer or preferably suspended in front of a return with the pump running. If you just dump CYA into your skimmer, it gets trapped in your filter and if you backwash shortly after, most of your CYA will go out with the backwash water. If you just dump the CYA in the pool, it can bleach the bottom of the pool while it takes time to dissolve.

Liquid shock never really goes to waste, unless you have 0 CYA and dump it in during the middle of the day, then quite a bit is lost to sunlight.

If you want to check for ammonia, you can get an ammonia water test at most pet supply stores. It's used for aquariums. Or you could add 10 ppm of chlorine with bleach and test 30 minutes later. If you have 0/low FC and high CC, that's an indication of an ammonia problem.

It sounds like you need to get yourself a proper test kit if you do not have one and stop relying on the pool store. Spend some time in Pool School, such as ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and review the links in my signature.

I assume they didn't bother to tell you it can take up to a week before CYA registers on a test? You need to follow our instructions on how to SLAM your pool in Pool School. You're gonna need one of our recommended test kits to do so. Please list you pool type, size and kind of equipment you have in a signature line like mine below in your profile so we can help. Welcome.

Last year I used normal pool shock (granulated) and an automatic chlorinator with 3" tabs. I was following the SLAM procedures, but I did not want to keep dumping LC into the pool with 0 CYA, if that was going to waste it. Knowing that is not the case, I'll continue to dump it in. I added the CYA to my skimmer, as per the container instructions and the pool store's instructions. I was unaware of the sock trick. However, I did not backwash between additions and I haven't backwashed since. So, to be clear, keeping the FC high will eventually get rid of the Ammonia and then I can add CYA to stabilize the FC levels?

Yes. If it is ammonia, which is likely based on your history of using probably trichlor tabs and dichlor? shock, it will take LOTS of liquid shock/bleach to clear the ammonia. I would do as I suggested and add what would get you to 10 FC, using Pool Math then in 30 minutes, test for FC and CC. That will let you know if it's ammonia for sure. Then, once you actually start holding an FC level above about 2 ppm, you know that the ammonia has been taken care of and you can begin the SLAM procedure in earnest. Dealing with an ammonia problem is sort of like another step before you can SLAM the pool back to health. I would not add any more CYA than what you've already added until you're holding some FC and can retest for CYA.

What test kit are you using?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.