Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cant get suction then when I do it fails

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Ashford, CT

Cant get suction then when I do it fails

I have a ) - Mystery to me ) pump / suction problem.

I can not get a suction to stay on a water fall only line.

This is a single suction line from one skimmer about 50 feet to a a 3/4 hp Dura Glass pump that returns to a waterfall and slide.

When I opened the pool all worked fine. Then it stopped.

The pump has been rebuilt and quickly pushes water out of the basket. I have tried pushing water, air and even a flexible plastic snake 15 feet up the line.

It appears that I have a block, but I have a weird issue. If I put a hose and pulse bulb in the skimmer I can flow water into the pump but as soon as I begin to get prime -- if I take the hose out -- I get a massive amount of water dumping into the skimmer (like pouring water into a hole) then it stops priming.

I have not tested for an underground suction leak, but I am not loosing any water.

I will try to post a video later.... but i am stumped....
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Cant get suction then when I do it fails

Surging like you describe is most usually a stuck weir flapper or low water. The pump catches prime, it sucks the skimmer dry, loses prime, skimmer refills. Repeat.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!