1st time pool owner Help please

Jun 9, 2015
mississauga
Ok, So I decided to go out and get a pool for the kiddies, but I have no idea where to start after its set up.
We won't be putting it up for another week or two, we live in Ontario, Canada and its not really hot yet.

I have read so the Pool School info, but am still a bit lost.
I've read many conflicting things, is there a section that can tell me how much and what chemicals need to be put in and how often?

Can someone walk me through what to do after I set the pool up and its full, I don't want to mess up and have green or cloudy water a few days later.

I've read the BBB method, but not sure if that is the way I wanna go or not.

I think I'm clueless :confused:

Thanks in advance

Welcome to TFP! Here's some basic guidelines:
1 - You MUST have the proper test kit. Up there, the only one you can get mailed to you is the Taylor K2006. If you come down south you can order the TF-100. But you need one of those kits.
2 - Once your pool is filled, need to start with the following as a minimum:
a. Add Stabilizer to your water; use the poolmath calculator (link below) to help you figure out how much. Shoot for an initial target of 30 ppm (Takes about a week to full register)
b. While you are waiting on the CYA to climb, add enough liquid bleach each day to keep your FC level to about 2 ppm (about 1/2 gallon or so); after the CYA reaches 30, you can raise FC to your recommended level based on the chart (link) below
c. If you have a way to test PH, you can adjust that anytime to keep the water safe and pleasurable to the skin and eyes.

That's really a "basic" starting point. You protect the water with FC (Liquid bleach) from algae, and the CYA (stabilizer) protects your FC. Adjust other items as necessary. Please post a follow-up as questions arise. It's easy to feel overloaded, but you'll get it quickly. Welcome!

I would suggest at a minimum getting your water tested for PH. Most places there locally, or even yourself with a simple test kit, should be able to check PH to ensure the water is safe for the eyes and skin. Somewhere around 7.5-7.8 would be fine. Since you have no way to really test chlorine accurately, a simple test to ensure you have a minimum amount of FC (i.e. 2ppm) should be fine. If you recently added bleach, let is mix thoroughly with the pump on for at least 30 minutes before allowing anyone in the pool. If at any time the water begins to change color, then I would not let anyone in until you get the proper test kit and can check yourself properly.

The only way to go is using the Trouble Free Method, Pool Calculator, and a good test kit as recommended here. Be sure to read, and re-read, Pool School. Nothing like testing your water, putting in your values to the Pool Calculator, and knowing exactly how much of any chemical you will need to put in the pool. One word of caution, be VERY CERTAIN of the numbers you put in the pool calculator. I made the mistake of a misplaced decimal point and added a little too much of a certain chemical one time. Better to get started on the right track, and just coming here for help is "on the right track".
I learned the hard way when in year 3 of pool ownership my pool developed pink algae from overstabilization. After finding this site, buying a test kit, studying Pool School, I have had "sparklypoolitis" for the past 5 years! I was so happy with my results the first year on the Trouble Free that I donated to the site (a first).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.