Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Green pool

Hi,
    I'm new to this website so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place. At the house my boyfriend and I currently live in the pool hasn't been used for 5 years. We have quadruple shocked it twice in the last two days and it now looks like this. I have no idea what I'm doing with a pool so any advice would be helpful.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green pool

Welcome to TFP!!

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store for shock. Their only response it to sell you something.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework assignment. Start with Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

How do you discern the color changes on a test kit when the water looks like the OP's?
    42' natural free-form pool, vinyl lined, 6' deep end, 21,400 gallons
    2 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Aquarite SWG, AquaComfort 125k btu heat pump, 350lb Hayward Pro Series sand filter
    2 skimmers, 2 floor drains, 10 returns (6 in the pool, 2 in the steps, 2 in the swim-out)
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Which test kit are you referring to? That may help.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
    How do you discern the color changes on a test kit when the water looks like the OP's?
    Two things: 1) in the sample tube, it doesn't look green at all. Compare the images in posts 24 & 34 in this thread Helping a friend: This should be a good one - Page 2
    2) The FAS-DPD test kit we recommend - the only test that will read the FC levels high enough to kill that algae - turns Barbie pink with the first reagent and the second one turns it clear. So even if it did have a pale tint, it would be obvious.

Back to pool school to learn about test kits
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

HI!!!!!!!!! What you do not like split pea soup??? LOL Sorry I had to

We can help you get that pool looking like a jewel. You have to help us help you though. Please get a good test kit. For that "yummy" looking pool you will need the XL.

Let us know when your test kit gets there and we can walk you though it!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Two things: 1) in the sample tube, it doesn't look green at all. Compare the images in posts 24 & 34 in this thread Helping a friend: This should be a good one - Page 2
    2) The FAS-DPD test kit we recommend - the only test that will read the FC levels high enough to kill that algae - turns Barbie pink with the first reagent and the second one turns it clear. So even if it did have a pale tint, it would be obvious.

Back to pool school to learn about test kits

I've never tested water that looked like that, so I really didn't know what it'd look like. I DO know how to test my water.
    42' natural free-form pool, vinyl lined, 6' deep end, 21,400 gallons
    2 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Aquarite SWG, AquaComfort 125k btu heat pump, 350lb Hayward Pro Series sand filter
    2 skimmers, 2 floor drains, 10 returns (6 in the pool, 2 in the steps, 2 in the swim-out)
    TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Samantha, are you using the Taylor K2006 test kit? It has the powder agent that makes the water pink (one scoop), then you use the R-0871 drops to make it clear? Or are you using something else? That wasn't clear to me in this thread, so I would like to confirm.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't have a test kit.... I brought it to a pool company and had them do it.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha11892 View Post
    I don't have a test kit.... I brought it to a pool company and had them do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You need your own test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. Yo need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

I just ordered that. In the mean time what should I be doing so it doesn't go back to how it was ?

12. Back To Top    #12

Not a lot unfortunately. You could add a gallon or so of bleach just to try and maintain the status-quo, but you can't effectively manage the "SLAM" and clear the water without the kit. All you can really do right now is read-up on the SLAM (link below) and start buying several gallons of bleach. You'll need quite a bit.

When you get your test kit, there's two things you need to check before starting the SLAM: CYA = 30ish and PH at 7.2. Once you are there, let us know and we'll walk you through the SLAM.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

The biggest thing you need to do is clean as much gunk out while you wait. The more you get out now, the faster the SLAM should be. That and read, read, read.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir