No Combined Chlorine reading

Jul 5, 2013
Harrisburg, NC
Need a little help. Working on getting rid of using chlorine tabs. My CYA is at 80 PPM and I don't want to go any higher. Trying to implement straight bleach. I am reading my Taylor test kit for free chlorine and I am a bit unsure of what I am reading. I think I am reading .32 PPM as I put in 2 dippers of the 0870, dropped 16 drops of 0871 into the 25ml tube to get it clear. I am suppose to multiply the .02 by the number of drops (16) which would give me .32 PPM. Sounds low to me. But I can't imagine dropping more than 16 drops in there to get this up to 3-5 PPM. So I am unsure of how I am reading this. That is issue #1. Issue #2 is when I check for combined chlorine, the test water does not change color after adding 5 drops of R-0003. The question is..how important is a "no reading" of combined chlorine. Do I need to raise the combined chlorine. And how do I do that. temperatures are in the mid 90's this week and i want to make sure I keep it sanitized well. Can anyone help.

11K gallon pool. Fiberglass.
PH-7.5
TA 80 PPM
CYA - 80
CH - 200

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.