New to SWCG

Hello All, and thanks in advance for the help. I just installed a circupool SI60 yesterday. The installation was a breeze, much easier than I thought.

Test numbers from 2006 test kit before starting up the SWCG,
FC 8
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 70
CH 250
CYA 60, spent the year getting it down from 90, then decideded to go Salt.

Question 1, other than getting PH down, and CYA up, how does everything else look?

Question 2, with a SWCG, do you test the water by the return? I usually test in an area away from returns and jets.

Question 3, on (the effects of adding chemicals) 1oz of chlorine gas will raise FC by 2.2ppm. So if my SWCG makes 3lbs, a day at 100%, that is 2oz per hour. So if I run the pump 8 hours a day, is a setting of 25% correct? I understand it will be trial and error to get it dialed in correct.

Thanks for the help answering these questions. Since I found this site in the winter time, and the methods taught here, my pool has been amazing. Also, it amazes me that with all the new posts from people, I have not seen anyone post a negative or condesending reply.

1. Numbers look good. The pH is still fine, and yes the CYA could go up a bit.
2. You do not want to test the water out of the return as it may have a higher FC level. Try to find a still area of the pool and always test in the same location.
3. That sounds like a good starting point. Although you should not need to run for 8 hours: Determine Pump Run Time

Also, it amazes me that with all the new posts from people, I have not seen anyone post a negative or condesending reply.
Thanks! We try very hard to keep this the friendliest forum on the internet ;)

Yeah, lots of folks get anxious about DIYing stuff, but almost all of this pool stuff is a breeze.

Your numbers look good. And yeah, play around a bit with your pump run time and output and you'll get it dialed in.
Nothin to that either, except just thinking logically and keeping track of the test results.

You missed a decimal point in the math for question 3. One ounce of chlorine gas only adds 0.2ppm of chlorine to your pool. You need 10 ounces of chlorine gas to make 2.2ppm of chlorine for your 34,000 gallon pool. If you want to keep the 8 hour pump run time I suggest starting with the SWG at 75% and check the FC daily until the SWG is dialed in. I like to run the SWG% high and lower the pump time to the minimum to keep the pool clean as I pay a high price for electricity.

Yep, take a look at this chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Chlorine level is set based on CYA level. Minimum is the number it should never, ever drop below or your pool be unsanitary and algae will grow. Th goal is to keep chlorine level at target or slightly higher. My CYA is 70 with SWG and I prefer to keep mine at 7-8. It is safe to swim with chlorine level anywhere between minimum and shock level. So, don't be nervous about having it above target. The old 1-3ppm rule is incorrect and outdated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.