HELP! Unknown pipe fitting in my pool

[h=2]HELP! Unknown pipe fitting in my pool[/h]
Need some help with an unknown "hole" fitting in my pool. We bought a house that came with a pool, but the owners had already moved and did not give us any instructions on operating the pool. A lot of it I had to figure myself. One thing that I have not figured out is this threaded opening towards the shallow end of my pool (see pictures).
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

The issue I have is that debris finds a way to build up in here and I need to know if this is something I can plug. I assumed it was something to maybe screw a pole in? Upon draining my pool and cleaning this out, it appears the pipe goes down deeper and may be a part of some piping system. I have no idea.

If someone recognizes this and could offer an explanation, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!​

Could it be a floor inlet? My pool has several of these which allow the water returning to the pool to be circulated from the bottom as well as the top returns. I'm also thinking it could be a pressure plug. According to our PB, those are used when the pool is empty to relieve pressure in case water builds up under the gunite. It helps prevent water from popping the pool out of the ground. Do you have a valve on the return side that may connect to this fitting?

Could it be a floor inlet? My pool has several of these which allow the water returning to the pool to be circulated from the bottom as well as the top returns. I'm also thinking it could be a pressure plug. According to our PB, those are used when the pool is empty to relieve pressure in case water builds up under the gunite. It helps prevent water from popping the pool out of the ground. Do you have a valve on the return side that may connect to this fitting?

Since debris can collect in here, I don't think it would be an inlet.. unless there is a setting/valve in my pool equipment area that I don't know about. I don't know if there is a valve that connects to this.

Didn't notice anything coming out of the jets when putting my water hose in the orifice. Looks like COBrien was right. I spoke with my local Leslie Pool repair guy. He said that for some of the older pools, this was installed with a fitting much like a sprinkler head that would act as a jet return. Perhaps the owner decided to upgrade their system - making this obsolete. I've never seen or felt water being suctioned or jetted from this hole, so it kinda makes sense. He told me that any plumbing store should have a cap that would thread into it.

Thank you all for your thoughts and responses. This is a great site with friendly advice.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.