Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP! Unknown pipe fitting in my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP! Unknown pipe fitting in my pool

HELP! Unknown pipe fitting in my pool

Need some help with an unknown "hole" fitting in my pool. We bought a house that came with a pool, but the owners had already moved and did not give us any instructions on operating the pool. A lot of it I had to figure myself. One thing that I have not figured out is this threaded opening towards the shallow end of my pool (see pictures).

The issue I have is that debris finds a way to build up in here and I need to know if this is something I can plug. I assumed it was something to maybe screw a pole in? Upon draining my pool and cleaning this out, it appears the pipe goes down deeper and may be a part of some piping system. I have no idea.

If someone recognizes this and could offer an explanation, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP! Unknown pipe fitting in my pool

Could it be part of an in-floor cleaning system? A quick Google search turned up this image:

Do you have any pool "accessories" that look like they thread into that fitting?
    25,000 gallon freeform gunnite/plaster, built in the 1970s/80s; Sta-Rite 9463004 575-lb. sand filter; Sta-Rite DuraGlas/Max-E-Glas (P2RA5F-125L) single-speed 1.5 HP pump, manufactured 12/1993 (1M93M).
    Helpful links: TFTestKits; Pool School; ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry; Chlorine/CYA Chart; PoolMath; SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

3. Back To Top    #3

It looks like a regular eyeball fitting to me. Maybe for a fountain.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

No accessories that I am aware of.

I have a dolphin spitting fountain above ground.

5. Back To Top    #5

Could it be a floor inlet? My pool has several of these which allow the water returning to the pool to be circulated from the bottom as well as the top returns. I'm also thinking it could be a pressure plug. According to our PB, those are used when the pool is empty to relieve pressure in case water builds up under the gunite. It helps prevent water from popping the pool out of the ground. Do you have a valve on the return side that may connect to this fitting?
    24,500 gal free form gunite, 3' - 8', Intellichlor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Sta-Rite S8M500 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, EasyTouch automation w/ Screenlogic interface, Aquabot Rapids 4wd cleaner. Taylor K2006 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by rps View Post
    Could it be a floor inlet? My pool has several of these which allow the water returning to the pool to be circulated from the bottom as well as the top returns. I'm also thinking it could be a pressure plug. According to our PB, those are used when the pool is empty to relieve pressure in case water builds up under the gunite. It helps prevent water from popping the pool out of the ground. Do you have a valve on the return side that may connect to this fitting?
    Since debris can collect in here, I don't think it would be an inlet.. unless there is a setting/valve in my pool equipment area that I don't know about. I don't know if there is a valve that connects to this.

7. Back To Top    #7

I was going to ask if it was a hydrostatic valve?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Is there some reason you can't run a garden hose down it and see if water appears somewhere else?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Is there some reason you can't run a garden hose down it and see if water appears somewhere else?
    will try that this evening.

10. Back To Top    #10

Didn't notice anything coming out of the jets when putting my water hose in the orifice. Looks like COBrien was right. I spoke with my local Leslie Pool repair guy. He said that for some of the older pools, this was installed with a fitting much like a sprinkler head that would act as a jet return. Perhaps the owner decided to upgrade their system - making this obsolete. I've never seen or felt water being suctioned or jetted from this hole, so it kinda makes sense. He told me that any plumbing store should have a cap that would thread into it.

Thank you all for your thoughts and responses. This is a great site with friendly advice.

Thanks!
    **33K free form IG plaster pool, pentair FNSP 60 Plus - DE, 1.5 HP WhisperFlo pump, 120V American Products pool light, Polaris, Taylor K-2006 Kit**