Ph through the roof!

Jun 1, 2015
toronto
I tested the PH and chlorine with the old Pentair test kit that came with the house and Chlorine was zero and PH was higher than the test kit could even measure, i.e well over 8. I have a bottle of muriatic acid from when I cleaned my SWG and was wondering what the proper way is to reduce the PH in the pool. I have ordered a K-2006 test kit in Canada as suggested by others ($180 here!) but it wont arrive for weeks according to Amazon so its trial and error at this point. I have heard that if you add too much muriatic acid acid you can actually scale the pool so any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

Adding acid won't scale the pool, but the opposite. It can corrode or damage components including plaster. Take a visit to Pool School and begin with the ABCs. and check out the other sections about chemicals, and what to use in the pool. For the interim you might consider a simple pH/OTO basic kit for finding your pH with a dependable result. It would be well worth the extra 10-15 dollars to be sure when adding something like Acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.