Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ph through the roof!

1. Back To Top    #1

Ph through the roof!

I tested the PH and chlorine with the old Pentair test kit that came with the house and Chlorine was zero and PH was higher than the test kit could even measure, i.e well over 8. I have a bottle of muriatic acid from when I cleaned my SWG and was wondering what the proper way is to reduce the PH in the pool. I have ordered a K-2006 test kit in Canada as suggested by others ($180 here!) but it wont arrive for weeks according to Amazon so its trial and error at this point. I have heard that if you add too much muriatic acid acid you can actually scale the pool so any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ph through the roof!

Adding acid won't scale the pool, but the opposite. It can corrode or damage components including plaster. Take a visit to Pool School and begin with the ABCs. and check out the other sections about chemicals, and what to use in the pool. For the interim you might consider a simple pH/OTO basic kit for finding your pH with a dependable result. It would be well worth the extra 10-15 dollars to be sure when adding something like Acid.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Ph through the roof!

Wow 180 bucks!

Here is a great article ahout the Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach