Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl leak- Only a foot left!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Vinyl leak- Only a foot left!!

Folks, we've been dealing with a leak in our inground pool for awhile. Fixed some some minor pvc leaks by the pump but the leak continued, and the rate of loss has increased over the past couple of weeks. The water level is now below all the returns and skimmer and we have performed the dye test around the light, the drain and some of the seams (around stairs esp). There is now only one foot left in the shallow end- the danger zone- and the water level is dropping several inches a day. I won't be able to get back in the water for more dye testing until this afternoon.

Help! I understand that the liner will be ruined if we don't stop the water level from dropping soon. We just don't have several thousand dollars for a new liner right now...
    2008, 22,700g, vinyl, IG, SWG, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD.

(More info to come when I figure it all out).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vinyl leak- Only a foot left!!

Could it be by where the ladder comes into contact with the liner? I had a friend who once forgot to put the "stomps" and that caused a leak. Have you considered getting a professional "leak finder"? I did that a few years ago, I believe the cost was around 500 but they don't guarantee that they will find the leak. In my case they found 4 from furniture that had blown into the pool during a major storm.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the advice jrguzmanr.

We finally found 4 holes on the bottom of the pool, but, oddly, dye does not get sucked into any of them. Does this mean they are not the source of the leak?

Additionally, though we have not patched the holes yet, my husband has refilled the pool and it is no longer leaking at all (its been about 48 hours)!

We are not sure what to make of any of this...

Any ideas?

4. Back To Top    #4

A herd of elephants coming by for a drink? (sorry )

I have no idea!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Leaks can be a challenge to find, in this case it could be as simple as something is temporarily plugging the leak and it will come back, wait and see, and when it does continue to search for it.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Could the holes we found be the source of the leak even if dye does not get drawn into them?

Elephants, lol! Cucumber beetles, maybe.....

7. Back To Top    #7

Maybe it is like was stated above. Something is pressing on or filling up the holes for right now to keep the water in.

I would patch those holes and start to refill.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Okay, thanks. We'll patch and see what happens.