3 Way Valve Leaking

Jun 15, 2015
West Chester
I "think" my compool 3 way valve is leaking air into the system. I will replace the 3 o-rings - but also noticed that 2 of my eight screen are not holding threads. Was wondering if I could just drill a hole all the way thru the base - and use long bolts/washers/nuts to really hold it down tight. Any else have bolts "stipped" on these? Its more the receiver end (in the base) that's stripped.

Pentair Compool 2 & 3 way Diverter Valve Parts Check Valve Parts

Thanks in advanced for any help.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Not having a valve sitting in front of me, but based on that picture, I do not think you can drill all the way through as you would drill into the water flow area. You could try a little larger diameter screw. It should not take very much torque to keep them sealed.

If your Compool valve is leaking around the stem, then rebuild the whole valve, I.e. Buy a whole new valve and swap the guts. The only way I have been able to fix those stripped screws is to go to your local hardware store and find the same thread type of screw and get it about a 1/4 " longer. I found some at a home depot. The quicker way, which usually works is to wrap the screws with Teflon tape several times and load up the o-ring with silicone and stagger the stripped holes with the good ones It works most of the time, and no, drilling won't work; I've tried it.

Thanks both respondents. I had tried the teflon tape - no luck. ALso tried screws (instead of bolts) of same diameter. Didn't try longer bolts - wish I would have. Do they really just go into threaded plastic? How did they expect that to last very long? In any case - I am now in the middle of just removing the 3-way valve all together - and replacing with 2 straight valves. Those have no gaskets, etc - so am hoping will back to 100% suction after this is done.

I hope you are not just installing a couple of cheap PVC ball valves because those are likely to give you worse problems in the future (like not being able to turn them and the handles breaking off).

Sounds like someone tightened the valves crews WAY too tight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.