Vacation - Advice please

TammyLynne

LifeTime Supporter
May 20, 2013
We are leaving for a two week vacation. I plan to put a winter cover on the pool and run the pump and SWG on a timer while we are away. Right now the SWG runs 12 hrs daily at 25% maintaining FC 4.

Would you decrease the percentage to about 12% and keep the run time the same?

The extended forecast is going to be in the high 90's the first week we are gone. This is our third season as pool owners. Thanks to your site, we have always had crystal clear water. My main concern is the high temperatures. Our water temp was 90 degrees yesterday. I thought it would be good to have the water circulating during the day when it is the hottest. I'm not sure how much chlorine it will use without getting any sunlight. This will be the first time leaving the pool for an extended period and I don't want to come back to green water. We have never experienced these high temp before either.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

FC - 4
CC - 0
PH - 7.6
TA - 60
CH - 100
CYA - 60

I have no idea what kind of loss you'd have under a cover. It will certainly be less than open to the sun.

But here's an idea: add some Poly60 algaecide now. It's a cheap way to buy some peace of mind. If you do mess up and set the SWG too low, it should keep things clear until you get back.

I just left mine for 2 weeks. Left everything running except the heater. Lowered the Ph because mine tends to rise over time. Put in a gallon of bleach and walked away. It was just fine when I got home. If anything it had too much chlorine which was exactly what I wanted as opposed to too little.

Just out of curiosity. If you have your SWG dialed in, why add a cover and change things? You are now changing a system that was working well to a new unknown system. One that you won't be able to check on and tweak at that.

If it were me, I would lower my pH down to 7.0, and let the SWG do its thing. Also make sure your return eyeball is pointed away from the surface, and any water features are turned off.

The reason for the cover is because we live by a big field and we get a lot of wind from it. You wouldn't believe the stuff that gets blown into our pool. Plus we've had a few ducks show up in the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure what could happen in the two weeks we are gone.

I guess with the temps getting so high I will just leave the settings the same. We decided to go ahead and put the cover on tomorrow night and I will have a couple of days before we leave to test the water. Maybe that will give me a better idea.

Thanks for the responses!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.