Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What time of day should I be testing my chemicals?

1. Back To Top    #1

What time of day should I be testing my chemicals?

Given I have a SWG which only makes chlorine when its on, what time of day should I be doing my full battery of tests? If I test at the end of a swim day, won't I get skewed results given bather load and sun? If I test at the beginning of the day, my SWG hasn't been running all night making any chlorine.

So - do most of you split the difference and test midway through the day? W/ people in the pool and whatever is going on?

Thanks !
    42' natural free-form pool, vinyl lined, 6' deep end, 21,400 gallons
    2 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Aquarite SWG, AquaComfort 125k btu heat pump, 350lb Hayward Pro Series sand filter
    2 skimmers, 2 floor drains, 10 returns (6 in the pool, 2 in the steps, 2 in the swim-out)
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What time of day should I be testing my chemicals?

Better to test early evening when you can UP your FC if needed and have it sanitizing all night without loss to sun effects.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Woody already answered, but just in case you didn't see it, below is a link from the Pool School page that discusses that issue quite a but and confirms that response. Have a great day!

TFPC for Beginners
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

If you're running your SWG during the day and it's off at night, then the evening is actually the BEST time to test. You'll know for sure then if your FC has dropped too low due to bather load/sun and you can remedy that with increased FC (either more run time or supplement with liquid shock/bleach). That way you don't have a potential problem brewing over night that your SWG can't overtake the next day and you know that you have sufficient FC overnight to keep things sanitized without loss to bathers or sun.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Excellent. Thanks much !
    2 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Aquarite SWG, AquaComfort 125k btu heat pump, 350lb Hayward Pro Series sand filter
    2 skimmers, 2 floor drains, 10 returns (6 in the pool, 2 in the steps, 2 in the swim-out)
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

+1 with Woodyp
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I understand the concept, but what about CC? If I test at the end of a hot day where I've had a lot of people in the pool, doesn't it stand to reason that I might flag some CC in it? I have never had CC in my pool, yet yesterday evening I registered .5 after 2 days of 90 degrees both in the pool and ambient air and 1 day of 6 people in it.
    TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

If it's a hot day with lots of sunshine, you won't have CC showing up unless you have an active algae growth problem or your FC got to zero during the day and your SWCG isn't keeping up. For instance, 0 FC, 1 CC. Sunlight is very good at breaking down CC so as long as you have adequate FC, CC will dissipate quickly. This is why CC is a good indication whether or not something is up.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

So I guess when I get home I'll test the water and see how my goosed CL load did. Really nothing else to it at that point.
    TF-100 Test Kit