New Pump - Wiring Question

Jun 30, 2013
Plano, TX
Good Morning All -

I've completed the plumbing for a new 1.5 HP Hayward pump that is used only for operating a waterfall. I'm not sure of where to connect the wires. There are three wires coming from the electric box - I know that green is the ground wire, as it was connected to the grounding screw on the old motor. But I'm not sure on the red and black wires. The motor has two screw connectors labeled L1 and L2. Pictures are attached. Can you please point me in the right direction.

I also attached a picture of the bonding wire that was attached to the old motor. The screw attachment on the old motor was on the side of the motor, and the new attachment is at the back end of the motor. So this wire won't reach the new attachment. Local hardware store advised me to use #8 copper wire and a butt splice (both of which I have, the butt splice is insulated). Will that work? Looks like the end of the bonding wire is pretty rusted - can I just cut that part off and rub the new edge with sandpaper to smooth it out?

Thanks!pump1.jpgpump2.jpg

Duh, lol. I had to Google "butt splice" and recognized it right away. I'll let one of the electricians or other experts floating around here confirm but I don't think I'd use that and would stick with a split bolt.

On a side note, will that conduit even reach the pump? Doesn't look like you have much to work with there even if it does.

If you posted the exact motors model number it'd be easy to look up a wiring diagram for it. Most are dual voltage. There is usually a wiring diagram attached to the motor or under the cover for the back end. It looks like it's a single voltage (120 volt) motor and the red and black go to the L1 and L2. I'd go with the split bolt as it's a more positive joint, you can see it's making proper contact.

A butt splice (a crimp terminal in which the wires are crimped in a single tube, end to end, "butted") is not suitable for bond wire connections. As Kiss4aFrog said, you should use a split bolt connector, available at just about every hardware or home improvement center.

That motor is a dual voltage motor. 115/230 volts. what supply voltage do you have? The wires do hook to the two screws (L1 &L2) but the selector switch needs to be set to match the voltage. As for the bond wire. Use a "split-bolt" connector. You can use insulated Solid #8 wire to extend this. Yes, clean the connections.

That motor is a dual voltage motor. 115/230 volts. what supply voltage do you have? The wires do hook to the two screws (L1 &L2) but the selector switch needs to be set to match the voltage

Surely they wouldn't have run a red wire with 120v, but there have been stranger things done. Definitely verify voltage before powering it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely they wouldn't have run a red wire with 120v, but there have been stranger things done. Definitely verify voltage before powering it up.

I should have you follow me around on some of the hacked up jobs I have to trouble shoot sometimes. I don't assume anything anymore. Been knocked on my butt too many times to take that chance anymore.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I should have you follow me around on some of the hacked up jobs I have to trouble shoot sometimes. I don't assume anything anymore. Been knocked on my butt too many times to take that chance anymore.

You must have been to my new house, lol!! I had an exterior wall light inside the pool enclosure not working and found two black wires and no ground at all, 14 Awg. Electrician was coming to hook up my new sub-panel anyway and I don't pull wires through walls so had him look at it. Besides both wires being black that 14 Awg turned out to be tied into the 20A circuit to a GFCI outlet right near it :( The tripped GFCI at least explained why I had no power and I never thought to check THERE for it, because who would do that?

I pressure washed my back deck and managed to get a little water on an outlet. The whole sunroom lost power. Took me a day to figure out what happened. That whole room is fed off the gfci outlet in the downstairs bathroom. Just happened to see that it was tripped. Hit the button and it all worked again. No idea why they wired it from there vs the kitchen or dining room that join the sunroom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.