Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pump - Wiring Question

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pump - Wiring Question

Good Morning All -

I've completed the plumbing for a new 1.5 HP Hayward pump that is used only for operating a waterfall. I'm not sure of where to connect the wires. There are three wires coming from the electric box - I know that green is the ground wire, as it was connected to the grounding screw on the old motor. But I'm not sure on the red and black wires. The motor has two screw connectors labeled L1 and L2. Pictures are attached. Can you please point me in the right direction.

I also attached a picture of the bonding wire that was attached to the old motor. The screw attachment on the old motor was on the side of the motor, and the new attachment is at the back end of the motor. So this wire won't reach the new attachment. Local hardware store advised me to use #8 copper wire and a butt splice (both of which I have, the butt splice is insulated). Will that work? Looks like the end of the bonding wire is pretty rusted - can I just cut that part off and rub the new edge with sandpaper to smooth it out?

Thanks!pump1.jpgpump2.jpg
    33,000 gal, IG/plaster, spa/waterfall combo plus waterfall
    Hayward DE filter 72 ft, 2.0 HP Hayward Tristar pump
    1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump for waterfall, SWG,
    Polaris 280 cleaner
    Nine 1/2 foot deep end with diving board

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pump - Wiring Question

Having trouble uploading the picture of the bonding wire - will try later, but the question remains the same.

Thanks!
    33,000 gal, IG/plaster, spa/waterfall combo plus waterfall
    Hayward DE filter 72 ft, 2.0 HP Hayward Tristar pump
    1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump for waterfall, SWG,
    Polaris 280 cleaner
    Nine 1/2 foot deep end with diving board

3. Back To Top    #3

It doesn't matter which wire goes to L1 and L2 as long as it's that red and black one.

LOL, I have no idea what a butt splice is though, other than most here have recommended split bolts so it's what I used.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Duh, lol. I had to Google "butt splice" and recognized it right away. I'll let one of the electricians or other experts floating around here confirm but I don't think I'd use that and would stick with a split bolt.

On a side note, will that conduit even reach the pump? Doesn't look like you have much to work with there even if it does.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

If you posted the exact motors model number it'd be easy to look up a wiring diagram for it. Most are dual voltage. There is usually a wiring diagram attached to the motor or under the cover for the back end. It looks like it's a single voltage (120 volt) motor and the red and black go to the L1 and L2. I'd go with the split bolt as it's a more positive joint, you can see it's making proper contact.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

The red and black wires can be put on either terminal, it doesn't matter which one. Use a split bolt for the bonding wire.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

A butt splice (a crimp terminal in which the wires are crimped in a single tube, end to end, "butted") is not suitable for bond wire connections. As Kiss4aFrog said, you should use a split bolt connector, available at just about every hardware or home improvement center.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

That motor is a dual voltage motor. 115/230 volts. what supply voltage do you have? The wires do hook to the two screws (L1 &L2) but the selector switch needs to be set to match the voltage. As for the bond wire. Use a "split-bolt" connector. You can use insulated Solid #8 wire to extend this. Yes, clean the connections.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    That motor is a dual voltage motor. 115/230 volts. what supply voltage do you have? The wires do hook to the two screws (L1 &L2) but the selector switch needs to be set to match the voltage
    Surely they wouldn't have run a red wire with 120v, but there have been stranger things done. Definitely verify voltage before powering it up.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    Surely they wouldn't have run a red wire with 120v, but there have been stranger things done. Definitely verify voltage before powering it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I should have you follow me around on some of the hacked up jobs I have to trouble shoot sometimes. I don't assume anything anymore. Been knocked on my butt too many times to take that chance anymore.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    I should have you follow me around on some of the hacked up jobs I have to trouble shoot sometimes. I don't assume anything anymore. Been knocked on my butt too many times to take that chance anymore.
    You must have been to my new house, lol!! I had an exterior wall light inside the pool enclosure not working and found two black wires and no ground at all, 14 Awg. Electrician was coming to hook up my new sub-panel anyway and I don't pull wires through walls so had him look at it. Besides both wires being black that 14 Awg turned out to be tied into the 20A circuit to a GFCI outlet right near it The tripped GFCI at least explained why I had no power and I never thought to check THERE for it, because who would do that?
    Scott

12. Back To Top    #12

I pressure washed my back deck and managed to get a little water on an outlet. The whole sunroom lost power. Took me a day to figure out what happened. That whole room is fed off the gfci outlet in the downstairs bathroom. Just happened to see that it was tripped. Hit the button and it all worked again. No idea why they wired it from there vs the kitchen or dining room that join the sunroom.