Adding Salt?

Apr 28, 2010
Central NJ
I'm considering adding salt to my pool for the feel (no SWG), and I've read that 2,000 ppm is the sweet spot. Now what concerns me is that I've also read that salt deteriorates concrete. At what salt level does this start to happen? Should I do 2,000ppm, 1,000ppm or no salt at all?

At a salt level of 2000 ppm, you won't see any damage to concrete, especially where you live. The problems associated with salt deteriorating soft stone or concrete surfaces is where there is splash out onto the pool deck or coping that does not get rinsed for long periods. A decent rain shower or quick rinse of the pool deck on occasion is enough to prevent problems, especially at that low of a salt concentration. Most pools with SWCG are about 3500 ppm, not much higher than the 2000 that you want to try. Relatively speaking, it's not a lot of salt considering that sea/ocean water is in the neighborhood of 35,000 ppm.

I added salt to my hot tub, the whole family loves it...

add 1 pound of pool salt to your 40 gallon bath tub, that is the same as 2500 ppm salt in your pool :) see if you like it, take a bath ( i used pool math :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.