Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Salt?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Salt?

I'm considering adding salt to my pool for the feel (no SWG), and I've read that 2,000 ppm is the sweet spot. Now what concerns me is that I've also read that salt deteriorates concrete. At what salt level does this start to happen? Should I do 2,000ppm, 1,000ppm or no salt at all?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Salt?

At a salt level of 2000 ppm, you won't see any damage to concrete, especially where you live. The problems associated with salt deteriorating soft stone or concrete surfaces is where there is splash out onto the pool deck or coping that does not get rinsed for long periods. A decent rain shower or quick rinse of the pool deck on occasion is enough to prevent problems, especially at that low of a salt concentration. Most pools with SWCG are about 3500 ppm, not much higher than the 2000 that you want to try. Relatively speaking, it's not a lot of salt considering that sea/ocean water is in the neighborhood of 35,000 ppm.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

if you never lose salt, actually we always add because of bleach, does there come a time when I will have to do a drain and refill?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Bleach adds a bare smidgeon of salt when it breaks down. You'll never have to worry about having added too much via bleach use.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Pumping out water after rain, splashout, and backwashing will prevent the salt level from continually climbing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

All great answers....as usual!

Has anybody tried salt (just for the feel) and not liked it?

I've should've tried it BEFORE I had my liner replaced.

7. Back To Top    #7

another question I have......Would this cause my fence around my pool to rust? I don't know what kind of fence it is, but it is some type of metal. At the closest, the fence is 3ft from the water.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I added salt to my hot tub, the whole family loves it...

add 1 pound of pool salt to your 40 gallon bath tub, that is the same as 2500 ppm salt in your pool see if you like it, take a bath ( i used pool math
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

9. Back To Top    #9

I added enough salt to bringing it up to 2,000 ppm and so from the people that have noticed a difference all have been positive feedback. As for me, I don't notice a difference.