Pool excatation starting this week - please help

Good morning, we just signed to have a pool built and they start this week. we initially contracted for a 17X35 curved shaped pool. After laying it out with string in our yard, it's looking kind of small and we are debating whether or not to go to 21X40. We currently have 2 girls 7 and 10 who will be swimming a lot and will be inviting friends over quite a bit. Include myself and my husband, we also have my mother and another relative that live with us who will also be in quite often. Add to that, my husbands son, daughter in law and 3 small kids. would anyone be willing to share their pool size for a family of let's say 6 with regular swimming guests? The reason we decided on the pool was to have all the friends at our house as the kids grow up to keep our eyes on them and to have nice pool parties in the backyard (we have a good size yard). I'm thinking we need it big enough for water floats as well. Thank you.

My pool (link below) is 16x 40'. Sometimes it's just the wife and I relaxing, or like last weekend, we had up to 12 people playing volleyball and swimming. If in doubt, and your yard and pocketbook can accommodate it ... go larger. :) Better to have that extra room than to fill cramped afterwards in my opinion. :)

Welcome to TFP!

New Pool in Maryland said:
The reason we decided on the pool was to have all the friends at our house as the kids grow up to keep our eyes on them and to have nice pool parties in the backyard (we have a good size yard).
Sounds like a good idea.

Our pool has similar dimensions to the one you initially contracted for. We have had at least 12 people in there at pool parties (plus one or two floating beer coolers) and it never felt cramped. But if the cost is minimal to go with the up-sized version and you have the room for it, then it's worth considering. About the only downsides to the larger pool is you will go through more bleach (or salt if you go with an SWG) to maintain chlorine and it will take longer to heat (if you get a heater) due to the larger water volume. But if your kids/guests are very active, the additional room would be a plus.