Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Knowing your pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Knowing your pool

My pool chemistry has gotten to the point this year where I no longer check it with the Taylor kit ( maybe once every two weeks, just to make sure )
    I check it with the cheap test strips ( mostly for my FC levels )once a week, everything else has stayed spot on ( no drift, no nothing )

I've also gotten to the point where my pool consumes very little bleach. I put 1 gallon in the 15,000 gallon pool on Wednesday and I dont need to put any more in until Sunday when it reads 1ppm. Busy life gets in the way so being 100% on the money with FC doesnt happen. Pool has been CRYSTAL clear and almost 80 for the last 3 weeks.

Thank you TFPC method! :: Thumbs up ::
    24 ft Sharkline Matrix AG
    Waterway 1HP 2SPD Sand Filter 100lb sand capacity, using 50lb of ZeoSand
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013
    16x16 Deck Going up Soon.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Knowing your pool

Man, you DO have it down to a science. Well done. Congrats!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

No real trees dumping stuff into the pool, CYA is good, i've kept an eye on when I put bleach in... I run the pump about 8 hrs a day give or take. I put 1 gallon in just after the sun goes down, leave the pump running for 3-4 hrs after I put it in and test in the morning. Usually a little on the high side ( 6ppm ) and by the time we get home from work we go for a swim and all are happy. No Itchy eyes, no funny feeling skin and most importantly no green. I will be taking the pool steps out in the next few weeks ( probably before July 4th weekend ) to pressure wash just incase something IS lurking .
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

You have become the "model" TFP student. We salute you.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm just gonna leave this here

TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013

6. Back To Top    #6

It's beer-thirty somewhere in the world!

7. Back To Top    #7

i often say "is it wine-o-clock yet?"
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Why is that bottle still full? Slacker.

Pool looks great!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Because I had not finished the first one
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013

10. Back To Top    #10

Not sure what your CYA is, but letting it drop to 1 FC might be tempting fate for algae. I'm with you on it being more intuitive than worrysome but, I still test at the very least every other day and I'm still very careful not to let it drop below the minimum, 3 FC right now for me.

TFP is easy, especially once you know your pool and usage but stay vigilant! That way you have more time for the cold ones pool side.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by tjroux View Post
    My pool chemistry has gotten to the point this year where I no longer check it with the Taylor kit ( maybe once every two weeks, just to make sure )
    I check it with the cheap test strips ( mostly for my FC levels )once a week, everything else has stayed spot on ( no drift, no nothing )

I've also gotten to the point where my pool consumes very little bleach. I put 1 gallon in the 15,000 gallon pool on Wednesday and I dont need to put any more in until Sunday when it reads 1ppm. Busy life gets in the way so being 100% on the money with FC doesnt happen. Pool has been CRYSTAL clear and almost 80 for the last 3 weeks.

Thank you TFPC method! :: Thumbs up ::
    While I'm happy that it is working out for you, there is nothing in the TFP system that supports the wild swings in FC you are obviously experiencing. Following your "system" allows your pool to be below minimum FC at least a couple of days a week, probably more.

I just want to make sure new members reading this are not confused that this is what we teach, or how they should care for their pools.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Not sure what your CYA is, but letting it drop to 1 FC might be tempting fate for algae. I'm with you on it being more intuitive than worrysome but, I still test at the very least every other day and I'm still very careful not to let it drop below the minimum, 3 FC right now for me.

TFP is easy, especially once you know your pool and usage but stay vigilant! That way you have more time for the cold ones pool side.
    CYA is 30.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    While I'm happy that it is working out for you, there is nothing in the TFP system that supports the wild swings in FC you are obviously experiencing. Following your "system" allows your pool to be below minimum FC at least a couple of days a week, probably more.

I just want to make sure new members reading this are not confused that this is what we teach, or how they should care for their pools.
    Wild swings? From 6ppm to 1-3ppm in 5ish days? I dont think thats a wild swing..... If i wanted to spend a little more time on it I could add a cup of bleach each day to maintain a 4-5ppm.
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by tjroux View Post
    CYA is 30.

Wild swings? From 6ppm to 1-3ppm in 5ish days? I dont think thats a wild swing..... If i wanted to spend a little more time on it I could add a cup of bleach each day to maintain a 4-5ppm.
    Actually yes, with CYA 30 1 - 6 is a wild swing. Adding a cup a day would be a much better way to care for it.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

Agreed,

Letting it drop this low so often will lead you into Algae issues at some point.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem