20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand

2. Back To Top    #2
    Love the skimmer socks Saves me from cleaning the cart filter too often
    SW Connecticut
    18,000 Gal Freeform
    Gunite/White plaster

3. Back To Top    #3
    I use one,

Really takes out a lot of junk, cutting down how much I have to backwash, saving water.

A bit more work since the skimmer will need to be cleaned more, but worth it for me.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Waaay NW MN
    Yeppers, saves our pump, etc from the fuzzy **** that invades our skies at this time of year. It looks like a Cotton Gin vomitted in our yard.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

5. Back To Top    #5

Collierville, TN (near Memphis)
    I like mine, too. I get cedar needles that can fit through the skimmer basket and get caught in the pump basket. It's easier to change the socks than clean the pump basket.

6. Back To Top    #6
    I started using these a few weeks ago. Had noticed more pollen or whatever fine stuff floating on the water than any year previously.

Huge difference. The stuff these things catch is amazing. I've been cleaning mine every day or so, and am amazed everytime I do. Should definitely extend the need for filter breakdowns and cleaning.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Toms River, NJ
    Can't beat them
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG

8. Back To Top    #8
    Thought I should add, someone in another thread mentioned using the knee high pantyhose from walmart for like $.39. When the three I have wear out I plan to try these as well.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Been using them for a few years now, won't be without them!
    Kneehighs don't seem to be as fine a material as the skimmer socks I have seen. Haven't tried them but I don't think they will filter the fine stuff as well.

10. Back To Top    #10
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

New Brunswick Canada
    Totally love them, saves from anything going through skimmer and ending up in pump one, which will cut down on suction.

11. Back To Top    #11

Okay, I'm confused. The OP was "Skimmer Nets" but I believe all the answers were for skimmer socks.

I started using skimmer socks and do love them. I also use skimmer nets, which, to me are those things that look like a tennis racket that you use to skim the surface of your water for floating debris.

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

12. Back To Top    #12
    Katy, TX
    I had the same reaction as you. I thought a skimmer net was the thing on the end of a pole that you skimmed the surface of your pool with. Skimmer socks are what you place on your skimmer basket to "pre-filter" your filter.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

13. Back To Top    #13

Mesa, AZ
    New pool owner here. What is the best way to put the knee highs/skimmer sock on the skimmer basket? Do you just pull it over the basket from the bottom and should you not let it go over the top/opening of the basket? Thanks.
    IG, Shotcrete, PebbleTech, 30 1/2 x 13, 13000 approx. gals, 1 1/2 HP Jandy pump, 2 1/2 plumbing, cartridge filter, SWG, ozone system, PV3 in-floor pop-up cleaning, Mesa, AZ

14. Back To Top    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by engteach43
    New pool owner here. What is the best way to put the knee highs/skimmer sock on the skimmer basket? Do you just pull it over the basket from the bottom and should you not let it go over the top/opening of the basket? Thanks.

Do not do that, I did that with a skimmer sock, not knowing what I was doing.

Went out the next morning, checked on the skimmer basket, and the sock was gone! Realized what had happened, and ran in and checked on the pump. Bingo, there was the sock, sitting in the pump strainer basket. Luckily, enough water got by still so that nothing bad happened

You want your skimmer sock/knee highs on the INSIDE of the skimmer basket, hooking the edges over the rim.