I just had my 18K gallon pool remodeled with a Pebble Tec finish. The pool was done filling up on Sunday June 7th. The startup guy came out on Wednesday, June 10th to start the chemical. I was home when he started the pool. As soon as he came out, he did some test - I assume it was for pH, chlorine and total alkalinity. Then he referred to some charts (I assumed it was to figure out how much chemical to add). From what I can tell, he added about 1 gallon of muriatic acid, one gallon of chlorine bleach (don't know the concentration), a quart of sequestrant, and some white powder stuff (which I assume is CYA). In addition, he added some "pucks" into a floating thing. I didn't see him test the water again, but recorded the following values:
TA 90 (his chart said ALK which I assume is TA)
No recording of CYA.
On Sunday, June 14th (5 days after the startup), I tested the water and got the following value:
TA 220 (the tap water has a TA of 350).
Salt 0 (haven't added salt for the SWCG yet)
It seems weird to me that the TA has raised from 90 to 220 based on just top off water. BTW - my tap water has a TA of 350. It also concerns me that his test results are not accurate because he tested the water, then added the chemical, but didn't retest the water. I had a talk with the sales guy and offered to do the chemical startup if they provide me with the chemicals and give me instructions. The sales guy told me I should let the pool maintenance guy do it for warranty purposes.
I have a few questions:
1. Is ALK (his sheet) and TA the same things? If it is, why did it go from 90 to 220? If anything, shouldn't it gone done because of the acid?
2. How often should the maintenance guy be coming out to test the pool and balancing the water chemistry?
3. The startup guy didn't even tell me to brush my pool daily. The sales guy had to tell me that.
4. The startup guy told me that I can continue adding sequestrant since my city water is really hard and not the best water. However, he didn't tell me how much or how frequent I should be adding sequestrant. Any recommendation?
4. Is there anything else I should be doing?