Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner pump chlorine question

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner pump chlorine question

Hi,
    I am installing a Stenner 45HP10 pump. I have a variable speed pool pump that runs 9 hours a night and 6 of those hours is at 1,000 rpm (barely see water moving but it is) and 3 hours at 2750 to run the vacuum. So would it matter when the stenner pump is running as long as it's while the pool pump is running? Would it make a difference if it ran during lower speed times vs. higher speed? Pumping into the returns.

Matt
    14,000 gallon pool, plaster, Pentair FNS 60 DE, Variable speed pump, Chandler, AZ (Phoenix area)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner pump chlorine question

No it should not make much difference. The 45hp10 pump will be dispensing about 0.9 oz per minute. My VS pump with my plumbing will move 25 gpm at 1000 rpm and about 70 gpm at 2750. Your's will be different but likely similar. Therefore the chlorine will be diluted a little more at the higher speed than the lower speed but even the lower speed is fairly dilute - 6 teaspoons of Chlorine / 25 gallons of water (or about 30 ppm - assuming 10% chlorine - which upon entering the pool will dilute quickly).

Gary
    20,000 gal IG Plaster Irregular Shaped Pool (1987), Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar Pump, Hayward Pro-Grid 60 SqFt DE Filter, Hayward Pool-Vac Ultra, TF100, Speed Stir, Stenner Pump & 15 Gallon Tank, Oasis Z5, and LA Spas H.E.E.T Model

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Gary!

14,000 gallon pool, plaster, Pentair FNS 60 DE, Variable speed pump, Chandler, AZ (Phoenix area)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by myers2115 View Post
    Thank you Gary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Myers:

If you are interested in understanding your pumping system a little better (flow rates and stenner dosing levels), suggest you read the thread Hydraulics-101-Have-you-lost-your-head. In this thread you will find tools that will allow you to estimate the flow rate for you system at various RPMs.

Gary
    20,000 gal IG Plaster Irregular Shaped Pool (1987), Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar Pump, Hayward Pro-Grid 60 SqFt DE Filter, Hayward Pool-Vac Ultra, TF100, Speed Stir, Stenner Pump & 15 Gallon Tank, Oasis Z5, and LA Spas H.E.E.T Model