NEWBIE! Just cleaned up. Only a little chlorine put in... Overwhelmed.

In the U.S. Clorox regular UNSCENTED concentrated bleach lists 8.25% sodium hypochlorite in its ingredients and (I think) it also lists 7.9% Available Chlorine. You do NOT want to use outdoor, splash-less, or scented bleaches. The outdoor and splash-less bleach contains thickeners that will cause foaming in the pool water.

Wal-Mart has Great Value bleach that competes directly with Clorox and is 8.25%. Staples sells Clorox Germicidal Bleach which also lists the percentage and is OK to use. As a general rule, if you don't see the percentage on the label, don't buy it unless you know it is only bleach without additives that you do not want.

Went to Aldi's Andy got 9 gallons of bleach for $2.80 each. Bottle said 8.5%. A way better deal than Chlorox outdoor without extra additives that the bottle did not tell you about.
Got Giant Marshmallows, graham crackers and pretzels for around $25LOL! Paid almost $55 for other stuff (thought it was stronger and use less/ better deal NOT!). And we didn't get s'mores out of it. Thanks for the tip!:cool:

Last edited:
Feeling a less Newbie! Less like shark bait! Report as I now have it (ran out of testing FC reagent this morning -tracking number says new supplies will be here tomorrow) is:
FC = 22. Only down slightly from last night's check. Can't check CC but it has been hovering around .5 to 1.0 Water that looks sparkling clear. Vacuuming again this morning, neighbor brought in 15 yards of dirt yesterday, getting a dusting.
Am I done slamming? Finally poured gallon of bleach in and around steps yesterday. Used hose to blow everything I could see off and out from under stairs (I really don't want to take stairs out again unless I absolutely have to!).:brickwall:
I think I am going to be Scarlett O'Hara and think about that another day (I know "who's Scarlett O'Hara?").
Should I wait for new reagent and keep slamming or can I infer from FC and pool appearance that I am done. Less and less in sock in skimmer (those socks are amazing - catch everything!). Grandkids sick of chlorine. I am getting tired of testing 4 times a day but don't want to slide down that slippery slope.
If I am done slamming. Do I do retest everything to start balancing pool water. It's harsh now. Out of reagent for testing CYA also. That had been 30-40, drifted to 60 (darn sticks) then back down to 40. I have been slamming like CYA was 60 all this time. Not need able to test again. No reason to think it would be up.
basically, in my wordy way... What to do next!
Thanks to everyone that helped from how to get started, types of chlorine, cheapest sources to using my toothbrush (haven't resorted to that yet), and encouragement to keep going!

If I were you I'd do my best guess on bleach doses based on what you've been adding and continue to SLAM until you can confirm with an OCLT. What's smother day or two now to be 100% sure you got everything? It won't hurt anything and it will further mitigate those pesky cc's.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.