Coleman vs Intex

ozzy47

May 11, 2015
Chicago, IL
Wondering if anyone here has used Coleman and Intex pools, and if there is any disadvantages with a Coleman.

I put up a Intex two weeks ago, and now there is a leak somewhere in the bottom.

So I am thinking on switching to a Coleman, cause I figure Intex is going to give me grief on replacing it. Even if they don't, and decide to replace it, from what I understand, you have to send them the label cut out of the liner, and then they will send you a new one. So who knows how long this will take. I am impatient and like my things now, not at their leisure.

So I am thinking to get a Coleman but I don't know anyone that has one.

My only familiarity with intex is what I read on this forum. Basically, having one is a PITA. The pumps are woefully underpowered and the filters are too small from the git-go.

So, what we see is people buying an intex and then starting to upgrade to satisfactory equipment. Then the real rub comes in when you find out that Intex tries to make everything proprietary so you cannot use good quality equipment.

I know the entry price on Intex is good but, from what we read, you pay later for that good entry price.

There are other members here who have hands on experience with them and I would put a lot more weight on their opinion than mine. Mine is just an overall feeling I get from reading about them the last 8 years.

I've been completely satisfied with the Intex's I've owned. Granted, I did upgrade to a sand filter, SWG, and a Hayward skimmer. But a piece of PVC and a hose clamp is all I've needed to adapt the Hayward to the Intex fittings. All the rest of my plumbing is Intex, end to end.

I looked into putting in a "real" AGP last year, but for the cost, I could put in a new Intex every couple of years for the next decade and still come out ahead, given that I already owned the sand filter and SWG.

BTW, the plumbing on the Coleman is compatible with Intex, so you can interchange pumps etc.

After one season with our Bestway branded pool (now sold by our local Canadian retailer under the Coleman name), I have to say we are more than satisfied with the quality. It's important to add that although we live in an extremely cold climate (and should have disassembled for the winter season) we chose to leave our pool up throughout the winter, and to our surprise and excitement not a leak to be found come spring. We had concerns about jeopardizing the integrity of our liner with the use of our electric heater (that keeps our pool at around 90 degrees on any given day), but came through our first season and now almost a full month into our second without any problems whatsoever. We invested heavily in an upgraded pump and sand filter as well, and had our pool professionally hard plumbed and wired. You can follow our build by clicking on the link in my signature. Good luck and have an awesome summer :)

I think the ultra frames are actually pretty good. I know of two that have lasted 3-4 plus years, even being left up over the winter for their life cycle. One, at a house, I could not afford save an unexpected windfall of serious cash. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My INTEX has lasted 7 years. But will be getting a bigger one at the end of season. My problem is my store only carries Colman now. I can order Online if I need to. But INTEX is now more than twice as much as Colman! !
I'm looking for 18' x48" my store has that in a Colman for 344 now on sale. The INTEX same size online walmart is 844. Which is better ??

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.