Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alkalinity

1. Back To Top    #1

Alkalinity

What do I use to raise alkalinity? Thanks

vinyl soft sided pool
    intex 1500 gph sand filter and intex swg at 1500 gph.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Alkalinity

Can you post a full list of test results?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Baking soda will raise Alkalinity. Without affecting PH so much.

Full test results would help diagnose if that is what you need and don't need to raise PH as well?
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

4. Back To Top    #4

No. I just would need the alkalinity raised.

Today the ph was at 6.5 so I added some chlorox ph up.

My water is very clear and clean looking so I'm not too over worried. I just couldn't remember if it was baking soda or borax.

vinyl soft sided pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by melody.boutz View Post
    No. I just would need the alkalinity raised.

Today the ph was at 6.5 so I added some chlorox ph up.

My water is very clear and clean looking so I'm not too over worried. I just couldn't remember if it was baking soda or borax.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    OK here's the full test. I had to redo cuz I had forgotten what the exact numbers were.

Acid demand was determined using this chart and I had a little trouble but got it as close as possible.

Thus was all determined by using poolmaster 5-way test kit

vinyl soft sided pool

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

The acid demand test isn't necessarily required. I understand it can help if you find color matching on the PH test challenging. With a PH of 7.4 and TA of 80 you shouldn't need to add any muratic acid unless your PH continues to rise.

What is concerning about that test is CL is 2 and CC is 2 but you didn't post you CYA level. That is a key number you need to know to determine where your choline needs to be. CC of 2 indicates you may have algea in your pool.

How does the water look?
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Additionally, you do not need to raise TA. It will/did come up when you raised pH.

Please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It'll strengthen your chem knowledge a lot.

As Aimee said, your chlorine is too low and your CC's are too high. Report your CYA and tell us what your water looks like.

Oops, I see now you reported your water as very clear.....Thanks! CYA?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Agreed on all counts here. TA is fine, I would raise PH with Borax if needed. Chlorine is low and CC indicates that you have some algae growing. Keep at least 3-4 ppm chlorine in there. Check CYA and we will advise next steps. You will need to set chlorine level based on CYA level on the Chlorine CYA Chart

Here is a little reading material
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    And just in case
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    The acid demand test isn't necessarily required. I understand it can help if you find color matching on the PH test challenging. With a PH of 7.4 and TA of 80 you shouldn't need to add any muratic acid unless your PH continues to rise.

What is concerning about that test is CL is 2 and CC is 2 but you didn't post you CYA level. That is a key number you need to know to determine where your choline needs to be. CC of 2 indicates you may have algea in your pool.

How does the water look?
    The water is beautiful.

This test didn't come with a cya. It's a 5 way test from pool master. Should I get the chlorine test?

vinyl soft sided pool

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Agreed on all counts here. TA is fine, I would raise PH with Borax if needed. Chlorine is low and CC indicates that you have some algae growing. Keep at least 3-4 ppm chlorine in there. Check CYA and we will advise next steps. You will need to set chlorine level based on CYA level on the Chlorine CYA Chart

Here is a little reading material
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    And just in case
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    According to the first article, it says use a solid cya or conditioner to raise it. I never added a conditioner to the water at all so it may test kinda low.

I don't have a way to test cya right now but in raising fc and cc...

I have 2 chlorine floaters, currently using one in the pool which I always keep filled to the top with 3" tablets. I could add the 2nd floater to the water filling it with tabs as well.

I could throw in another bag of shock this evening. I have both chlorox and in the swim shocks. Both are chlorine based. I usually shock every Wednesday but if necessary I could do it today no big deal.

My pool gets direct sunlight pretty much all day long. The pool feels much like a warm bath water. I read that sunlight has to do with amount of available chlorine.

vinyl soft sided pool

11. Back To Top    #11

According to the first article, it says use a solid cya or conditioner to raise it. I never added a conditioner to the water at all so it may test kinda low.

I don't have a way to test cya right now but in raising fc and cc...

I have 2 chlorine floaters, currently using one in the pool which I always keep filled to the top with 3" tablets. I could add the 2nd floater to the water filling it with tabs as well.

I could throw in another bag of shock this evening. I have both chlorox and in the swim shocks. Both are chlorine based. I usually shock every Wednesday but if necessary I could do it today no big deal.

My pool gets direct sunlight pretty much all day long. The pool feels much like a warm bath water. I read that sunlight has to do with amount of available chlorine.

Perhaps you might consider the Trouble Free Pool Care Method as an alternative to your weekly shock and chlorinate routine....it will make your life a lot easier and it will be cheaper in the end.

Considering you are shocking weekly and adding lots of pucks to your floater, I'm going to guess that your water has lots of CYA (Cyanuric Acid, also called stabilizer or conditioner) in it. Eventually your CYA is going to get so high that the chlorine in the pool will be unable to fight off algae. At that point your water is going to go cloudy and green.

Take the advice of the tens of thousands of people here - give the TFPC Method a shot, I'm confident you will not regret the switch.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Additionally, you do not need to raise TA. It will/did come up when you raised pH.

Please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It'll strengthen your chem knowledge a lot.

As Aimee said, your chlorine is too low and your CC's are too high. Report your CYA and tell us what your water looks like.

Oops, I see now you reported your water as very clear.....Thanks! CYA?
    The Taylor kit that includes a test for cya is $53 on eBay. (Taylor K-2006)

Any other recommendations for cya test? Thanks

vinyl soft sided pool

13. Back To Top    #13

The Taylor kit that includes a test for cya is $53 on eBay. (Taylor K-2006)

Any other recommendations for cya test? Thanks

If you're comfortable with getting stuff on eBay, I guess so. I bought my K-2006 on Amazon. eBay always worries me with getting second hand stuff. Many of the Taylor chemical reagents are only good for 2 years before they expire and that is based on optimal storage conditions. If you can't certify that this kit on eBay is original and was stored properly, you could get a batch of bad chemicals.

I'd recommend you check out TFTestKits.net and look at their TF-100 which is just like the K-2006 but contains different amounts of reagents for the tests you are most likely to perform the most (FC/CC, CYA, TA, pH). Or, if you're skeptical, then get the Taylor kit off Amazon where you're more likely to get it in original condition.

Just my $0.02 opinion...
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    If you're comfortable with getting stuff on eBay, I guess so. I bought my K-2006 on Amazon. eBay always worries me with getting second hand stuff. Many of the Taylor chemical reagents are only good for 2 years before they expire and that is based on optimal storage conditions. If you can't certify that this kit on eBay is original and was stored properly, you could get a batch of bad chemicals.

I'd recommend you check out TFTestKits.net and look at their TF-100 which is just like the K-2006 but contains different amounts of reagents for the tests you are most likely to perform the most (FC/CC, CYA, TA, pH). Or, if you're skeptical, then get the Taylor kit off Amazon where you're more likely to get it in original condition.

Just my $0.02 opinion...
    I see your point in that. I have bought things from the seller on eBay. Vminnivations. They're the ppl I also bought my pool from them and some other things. They have sent me new and good quality things

But I'll check this link. It would be nice to get it a little cheaper.

vinyl soft sided pool

15. Back To Top    #15

I highly recommend and use the TF100 from tftestkits.net. it will last longer and give you more tests in the long run than the k2006.

see this Pool School - Test Kits Compared
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I highly recommend and use the TF100 from tftestkits.net. it will last longer and give you more tests in the long run than the k2006.

see this Pool School - Test Kits Compared
    Yah I checked into it. No one else even had the tf100

vinyl soft sided pool

17. Back To Top    #17

Yah I checked into it. No one else even had the tf100

I'm pretty sure that's because the owner of this website are the people who make the TF-100 and are the sole source for this kit...I believe TF stands for troublefree....maybe I'm making a correlation out of a coincidence, but that is my observation.
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by gilbee View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's because the owner of this website are the people who make the TF-100 and are the sole source for this kit...I believe TF stands for troublefree....maybe I'm making a correlation out of a coincidence, but that is my observation.
    Yah I think your right about tf being trouble free. What you said also explains the reason for my not being able to find it elsewhere. I was glad to get the site and have one ordered soon.

vinyl soft sided pool

19. Back To Top    #19

Welcome to the forum! The people here are so helpful! I agree that you read up on the TFP 'method. It will save you time and trouble.

26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

While waiting for your new test kit, I suggest you spend some time in Pool School. It's the button at the upper right of this page. Read, re read, and study. Everything you need to know is spelled out. It may seem a bit overwhelming and complex at first, but it will gradually all make sense. One other thing you need to know, stay out of pool stores and ignore any water test or advice from there. It just wastes your time and money. Everything you need to know about pool care is right here, ask any of the thousands of people who have found the site.

Any questions you ever have, just post them and there is always someone here who will be happy to give you the answer. And my experience is that the answers are from THE experts in pool care.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast